Robert Wagner not interviewed in new Wood inquiry
FILE - This Dec. 1, 1981 file photo shows actress Natalie Wood. A Los Angeles sheriff's detective said Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, that actor-husband, Robert Wagner, has not consented to an interview in their renewed inquiring into Wood's 1981 drowning, but an attorney for the actor and his family says he has fully cooperated with authorities. (AP Photo/File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robert Wagner has declined to be interviewed by detectives in a renewed inquiry into the drowning death of his wife Natalie Wood three decades ago, an investigator said Thursday.
Wagner was interviewed by authorities soon after Wood's drowning in 1981, but the actor is the only person who was on the yacht the night Wood died who has not spoken to detectives as part of the latest inquiry, despite repeated requests and attempts, sheriff's Lt. John Corina said.
Blair Berk, an attorney for Wagner and his family, said the actor had cooperated with authorities since his wife died.
Detectives began re-investigating the case in November 2011. Since then investigators have interviewed more than 100 people, but Wagner has refused and Corina said the actor's representatives have not given any reason for his silence.
The detective's remarks provided new insight into the case that has remained one of Hollywood's enduring mysteries. Earlier this week, coroner's officials released an updated autopsy report that had been under a security hold. It detailed why Wood's death had been reclassified from an accidental drowning to a drowning caused by "undetermined factors."
"Mr. Wagner has fully cooperated over the last 30 years in the investigation of the accidental drowning of his wife in 1981," Berk said in a prepared statement. "Mr. Wagner has been interviewed on multiple occasions by the Los Angeles sheriff's department and answered every single question asked of him by detectives during those interviews."
After 30 years, Berk said, neither Wagner nor his daughters have any new information to add. She said the latest investigation was prompted by people seeking to exploit and sensationalize the 30th anniversary of the death.
The renewed inquiry came after the yacht's captain Dennis Davern told "48 Hours" and the "Today" show that he heard Wagner and Wood arguing the night of her disappearance and believed Wagner was to blame for her death.
Authorities have not identified any suspects in the case.
Wood, 43, was on a yacht with Wagner, Christopher Walken and the boat captain on Thanksgiving weekend of 1981 before she somehow ended up in the water.
FILE - This April 1980 photo shows Hollywood film star, Natalie Wood, with her actor husband, Robert Wagner, in Los Angeles. A Los Angeles sheriff's detective said Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013, that Wagner has not consented to an interview in their renewed inquiring into Wood's 1981 drowning, but an attorney for the actor and his family says he has fully cooperated with authorities. (AP Photo, File)
Corina said Walken gave a prepared statement and spoke to detectives for an hour.