Al Gore's Current TV Nearing Sale to Al Jazeera
Current TV Sold As Cable Universe Threatens to Shrink (Analysis)
Current TV, the struggling cable news network co-founded by former vice president Al Gore, is nearing a deal to be taken over by Qatar-based Al Jazeera.
Exact terms of the deal are not known but Al Jazeera, the independent broadcaster owned by the state of Qatar, is said to be close to a deal for the cable channel that reaches 60 million American homes.
According to the New York Times, Al Jazeera will create a new channel based in New York. Potentially called Al Jazeera America, about 60 percent of programming will be produced in the U.S. while the remaining 40 percent will come from Al Jazeera English, a channel Al Jazeera already owns.