The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation honored NBC's Smash and CBS' The Amazing Race during a ceremony Saturday.
The New York leg of the watchdog group's 24th annual media awards series also honored the documentary How to Survive a Plague, and saw Madonna present Anderson Cooper with GLAAD's Vito Russo Award, which honors openly gay media professionals who have made a difference in promoting equality.
Director Brett Ratner received GLAAD's inaugural Ally Award for his work in launching the "Coming Out for Equality" PSA campaign along with Comcast. The event was hosted by Good Morning America anchors Lara Spencer, Josh Elliott and Sam Champion.
The GLAAD Media Awards fund the organization's work of bringing stories of LGBT people and issues to the U.S. public. The events have raised nearly $3.5 million for the group annually. The awards series continues in Los Angeles on April 20. Find Saturday's winners below and a complete list of nominees here.
- Vito Russo Award: Anderson Cooper
- Ally Award: Brett Ratner
- Outstanding Drama Series: Smash (NBC)
- Outstanding Documentary: How to Survive a Plague (Sundance Selects)
- Outstanding Reality Program: The Amazing Race (CBS)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Game Changer" by Andy Mannix (City Pages [Minneapolis, Minn.])
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The Boston Globe
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "School of Hate" by Sabrina Rubin Erdely (Rolling Stone)
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: The Whale by Samuel D. Hunter
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: From White Plains written by Michael Perlman in collaboration with Fault Line Theatre
- Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Entrevista con Orlando Cruz" Titulares Telemundo (Telemundo)
- Outstanding Magazine Article: "Amor genuino" by Cristina Saralegui (People en Español)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Operación tolerancia: la lucha contra la homofobia en los medios hispanos" by Lilia Luciano (voces.huffingtonpost.com)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism - Multimedia: "2013: Año clave para la comunidad gay" by Ramón Frisneda (ElDiarioNY.com)