‘Hamilton’ Star On Message To Pence: “There’s Nothing To Apologize For”

Denise Petski
Deadline

Hamilton star Brandon Victor Dixon has no intention of apologizing (as requested by Donald Trump) for his curtain call message to Vice President-elect Mike Pence on Saturday night following the performance of the multi-Tony Award-winning show.

Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr in Hamilton, appeared on CBS This Morning Monday saying “there’s nothing to apologize for.” Dixon said that Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda assisted in crafting the Dixon’s post-show remarks with Dixon making “some adjustments.”

“We wanted to stand up and spread a message of love, of unity,” Dixon said. He added that Trump and Pence are welcome to meet with the cast at any time, adding “Art is meant to bring people together, it’s meant to raise conscientiousness.”

When it was noted by co-host Gayle King that a Trump supporter disrupted a performance of the show in Chicago, saying something to the order of “Get over it, we won,” Dixon denied that he was setting a precedent for audience disruptors. “That is not the first time nor will it be the last that somebody went into a theater and began to act inappropriately or stand up and interrupt the show.”

Trump tweeted Saturday that Pence had been “harassed” by the cast, called them “very rude” and demanded they apologize.

Pence told CBS’ Face The Nation on Sunday that he “wasn’t offended” by Dixon’s message. You can watch Dixon’s response below:


Related stories

Donald Trump Meeting With Media Brass "Excellent," Says Kellyanne Conway - Update

Kellyanne Conway Defends Donald Trump's Twitter Reaction To 'Hamilton' Flap & 'SNL'

Donald Trump At Home Special Brings Golden Friday Ratings For Fox News

Get more from Deadline.com: Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Newsletter