Despite knowing all of the best burger spots and pizza joints as seen on his Food Network show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, Guy Fieri's favorite place to eat and cook is at home with his family. In his new Guy Fieri Family Food cookbook, the TV host, restaurateur, and chef shares Fieri family favorites including this recipe for roasted spaghetti squash with kale and parmesan. This crazy-simple recipe features earthy-sweet spaghetti squash with crispy kale chips and fresh grated parmesan cheese. It's so hearty and flavorful, the Fieris enjoy it as an entrée any night of the week.
From chef Guy Fieri, Guy Fieri Family Food
Roasted Spaghetti Squash With Kale and Parmesan
1 large spaghetti squash
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
6 to 8 turns freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch kale
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Split the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Use a large spoon to scrape out the seeds and discard.
- Place the spaghetti squash cut side up on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the oregano, garlic, chili flakes, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 3 or 4 turns of pepper. Turn over so they are cut side down (this will enable them to cook faster). Bake in the center of the oven until the squash flesh is fork-tender, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Use a large spoon and fork to scrape out the fibers from the squash halves and place them in a large bowl. Toss gently to separate the strands so they resemble spaghetti.
- Meanwhile, wash the kale and remove and discard the stems. Tear the leaves into large bite-size pieces (about 1 inch). Dry completely in a salad spinner. Transfer the kale to a large bowl. Dress very lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil, so the leaves are barely coated. Season with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 3 or 4 turns of pepper. Spread the leaves evenly on 2 rimmed baking sheets and roast until crispy and bright green, 12 to 14 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble, place the spaghetti squash on a large platter and top with the crispy kale chips. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve.
From Guy Fieri Family Food by Guy Fieri. Copyright © 2016 by Guy Fieri. Reprinted by permission of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers.
- Cook Time