Some family members of victims of the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooting are outraged over an invitation they received from Cinemark to attend “a special evening of remembrance” and a movie in the theater where their loved ones were killed. The letter, published today in the Denver Post, is signed by eight relatives of victims who say they are particularly upset that the invitation was sent during the holidays. A portion of the letter follows below:
To the Management of Cinemark USA, Inc.:
During the holiday we didn’t think anyone or anything could make our grief worse but you, Cinemark, have managed to do just that by sending us an invitation two days after Christmas inviting us to attend the re-opening of your theater in Aurora where our loved ones were massacred.Thanks for making what is a very difficult holiday season that much more difficult. Timing is everything and yours is awful.
You (Cinemark) has shown, and continues to show, ZERO compassion to the families of the victims whose loved ones were killed in their theater. You, Cinemark, have never once reached out to the families to offer condolences.
This disgusting offer that you’d “like to invite you and a guest to a special evening of remembrance on Thursday, January 17 at 5 PM” followed by the showing of a movie and then telling us to be sure “to reserve our tickets” is wholly offensive to the memory of our loved ones.
The letter also says Cinemark has refused to meet with victims’ families one-on-one with no lawyers involved.
Cinemark announced early last month that the former Century 16, now the Century Theater XD, would reopen on January 17, 2013. A majority of residents polled by the city of Aurora said the theater should be reopened, but some victims’ families told local media they did not think it should reopen.
12 people died and 58 were wounded when James Holmes allegedly opened fire July 20th during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises. A preliminary hearing in the case is scheduled to get underway on Monday.