While the public awaits an official cause of death in the case of Buckwild star Shain Gandee, a representative for the sheriff's department in Kanawha County in West Virgnina tells The Hollywood Reporter that speculation of carbon monoxide poisoning is "not irresponsible."
PHOTOS: 'Buckwild' 101: What to Know About MTV's Redneck Reality Show
Reports surfaced Monday that the 21-year-old, who was found dead in his vehicle earlier that day along with two others, may have died of carbon monoxide poisoning. The evidence: photos of his red Ford Bronco, which appeared to have been submerged in mud all the way up to the window.
"It's not irresponsible of you to speculate that," says Dan Humphries, spokesman for the sheriff's department, acknowledging that carbon monoxide poisoning is a significant possibility. "But we're waiting on the coroner's report," he adds.
PHOTOS: Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2013
Meanwhile, MTV is putting the brakes on any decision-making regarding the upcoming second season of its hit series. Producer J.P. Williams tells THR that production has been suspended but the fate of the series will not be decided for a couple weeks.
Gandee was reported missing over the weekend, having last been seen at 3 a.m. Sunday at a local bar. Along with his uncle and friend, Gandee reportedly told bar patrons that he was going off-roading (or as it is called on the show, "mudding"). News of his death broke Monday.