More Shots Fired in ‘Duck Dynasty’ War of Words
Duck Dynasty - Phil Robertson
Seeing as we've entered the final holiday shopping days (and panic mode), it's understandable that you may not be up-to-speed on the latest developments in the "Duck Dynasty" saga. So we've created this handy little list to fill you in.
1. On Thursday, a video surfaced that (according to some) provided further evidence of Phil Robertson's "homophobia." In the clip, the patriarch declares that there is a "lack of morality in America."
According to Phil, this lack of morality is proven by the fact that people "bow down to birds, animals, and reptiles, and each other." We're not exactly sure what he means by that, but he goes on to add that "the first thing you see coming out of them is gross sexual immorality. They will dishonor their bodies with one another, degrade each other... Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions."
2. This didn't seem to bother Robertson, however, who spoke out for the first time since his quotes to GQ about homosexuality sparked nothing short of a firestorm across the country — and he's standing by his statements.
"I will not give or back off from my path because you conquered death, Father, so we are not worried about all the repercussions," the reality TV star declared while leading a Bible study group in Louisiana on Sunday. He also added, however, "I love all men and women. I am a lover of humanity, not a hater."
"Sexual sins are numerous and many — I have a few myself," he admitted. "So what is your safest course of action? If you're a man, find yourself a woman, marry them, and keep your sex right there."
3. Louisiana's lieutenant governor expressed his support for Robertson and he vowed to help protect the future of the show.
"I'm sure a lot of people found the comments offensive. There's no question about that," Jay Dardenne declared. "The point is he has an opinion and has a set of beliefs and is entitled to those without jeopardizing what has become an extremely popular show across America." In fact, he offered to connect the Robertsons with his own personal TV industry contacts if they reach a stalemate with A&E.
"If the Robertson family cannot come to an agreement with A&E and wants to continue the show, Louisiana already has the infrastructure in place to maintain their record-breaking program," he shared while quickly noting that he would use his own Rolodex, rather than state-funded efforts, to assist.
4. On Saturday, Cracker Barrel pulled "Duck Dynasty" products from its shelves — and on Sunday, the comfort food chain put them back.
"When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers," a statement explained. "You told us we made a mistake… You wrote, you called, and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat-out told us we were wrong. We listened. Today we are putting all our 'Duck Dynasty' products back in our stores. And, we apologize for offending you."
5. But Cracker Barrel customers weren't the only ones expressing their outrage. Charlie Sheen took to Twitter to bash Phil Robertson.
"hey Mallard brained Phil Robertso! you have offended and hurt so many dear friends of mine, who DO NOT have the voice or the outreach that I do," he wrote. "Your statements were and are abhorrently and mendaciously unforgivable. The idea that you have a job outside of dirt-clod stacking is a miracle. The only 'Dynasty' you are attached to might be the re-runs of that dated show."