Cult Corner: Lost outback classic ‘Wake in Fright’ on Blu-ray/DVD
Take a shocking, nightmarish journey into the Australian outback in director Ted Kotcheff's nearly-lost 1971 thriller 'Wake in Fright' -- the "unsettling and disturbing " movie that Martin Scorsese says left him "speechless."
John Grant, a British schoolteacher, arrives in the rough and remote outback mining town of Bundanyabba, with plans to just stay overnight before catching the plane to Sydney. But as his one night stretches to five, he is reluctantly drawn into the macho antics of the local men, and plunges headlong toward his own destruction. After losing his money in the gambling game two-up, he is taken on a drunken and brutal kangaroo hunt with three of the beer-guzzling louts -- a horrifying ordeal that culminates in a shattering sexual assault.
While considered a classic, groundbreaking work in Australian cinema, "Wake in Fright" was retitled as "Outback" and rushed in U.S. theaters with little fanfare before disappearing into obscurity. The film materials were thought to be lost for over three decades until cinematographer Brian West unearthed the original negative elements in Pennsylvania in canisters marked for imminent destruction.
Newly preserved and restored, "Wake in Fright" returned to screens with a successful nationwide theatrical release last fall, and debuts on high definition Blu-ray and DVD this week from Drafthouse Films.
Blu-ray Special Features:
- Audio commentary by director Ted Kotcheff and editor Anthony Buckley
- "To the Yabba and Back" Featurette
- Q & A with Kotcheff from the 2009 Toronto Film Festival
- A look at the movie's restoration
- Who Needs Art? vintage segment
- Theatrical Trailers and More
See director Ted Kotcheff in the exclusive behind-the-scenes making-of featurette "To the Yabba and Back" from the Outback classic 'Wake in Fright' available on Blu-ray and DVD:
To celebrate the home entertainment release of the cult classic 'Wake in Fright' we're doing a giveaway! Three grand prize winners will each receive a 'Wake in Fright' on Blu-ray. Here's how to enter:
Step 1: Follow @yahoomovies on Twitter
Step 2: Tweet this message:
I want to win 'Wake in Fright' on Blu-ray from @yahoomovies http://yhoo.it/wakeinfright-blu #CultCorner
Note: One entry per person/email address/Twitter handle.
Step 3: The giveaway ends 11:59 a.m. PT on January 21, 2013. Winners will be notified on Twitter and will receive a Direct Message with further information. Keep in mind, this giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.
Yahoo! Movies Giveaway:
'Wake in Fright' Blu-ray
THE FOLLOWING PROMOTION (THE "PROMOTION") IS INTENDED FOR PLAY IN THE FIFTY UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY (COLLECTIVELY, THE "ELIGIBILITY AREA") AND SHALL ONLY BE CONSTRUED AND EVALUATED ACCORDING TO UNITED STATES LAW. DO NOT ENTER THIS PROMOTION IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN, AND A LEGAL RESIDENT OF, THE ELIGIBILITY AREA.
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING.
ENTRY IN THIS PROMOTION CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
1. Eligibility: You must be a legal resident of the Eligibility Area and 13 years or older at the time of entry. Void in overseas U.S. territories, possessions, commonwealths and military installations, and where prohibited by law. Employees and agents of Yahoo!, ("Sponsor"), Twitter, Inc. ("Twitter"), their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotional agencies, any other prize sponsor, and any entity involved in the development, production, implementation, administration or fulfillment of the Promotion (all of the foregoing, together with Yahoo!, collectively referred to as "Promotion Entities"), and the immediate family members and persons living in the same household as such individuals, whether related or not, are not eligible to participate or win. Twitter is not a sponsor of, or is in any way affiliated with, this Promotion.