"E.T. phone home."
This October, as part Universal Studios' 100th anniversary, director Steven Spielberg's out-of-this-world adventure 'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' takes off on Blu-ray for the first time ever. The landmark film celebrates its 30th anniversary with an all-new, digitally remastered picture that delivers six times the resolution of DVD and 7.1 surround sound.
The 1982 family classic, still heralded as one of the biggest box office blockbusters of all time, tells the tender tale of the unlikely friendship forged between a lonely, imaginative boy, Elliot, and the strange alien creature who finds himself a long way from home.
The 'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Combo Pack includes the original theatrical movie (sans digitally-inserted walkie talkies), an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, and "The E.T. Journals" featuring never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage.
Here's Universal's press release:
IN CELEBRATION OF
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS' 100TH ANNIVERSARY,
ONE OF THE MOST BELOVED FILMS OF ALL TIME COMES TO
BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
STEVEN SPIELBERG'S UNFORGETTABLE ADVENTURE DEBUTS IN A DIGITALLY REMASTERED 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
BLU-RAY™ COMBO PACK WITH BLU-RAY™, DVD, DIGITAL COPY & ULTRAVIOLET™ OCTOBER 2012
Universal City, California, May 30, 2012 - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, Academy Award®-winning director Steven Spielberg's magical adventure, celebrates its 30th Anniversary with its first-ever release on Blu-ray™ this October. Featuring an all-new, digitally remastered picture that delivers six times the resolution of DVD, as well as all-new 7.1 surround sound, the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Anniversary Edition Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes the 1982 theatrical movie, an all-new interview with director Steven Spielberg, and "The E.T. Journals" featuring never-before-seen footage from the set of the film. The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack also includes UltraViolet™, a DVD and a Digital Copy of the film, offering fans a chance to relive the mystery, laughter and wonder of the iconic movie anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.
In 1982, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial became the biggest blockbuster of the year, ranking #1 over 16 different weekends. Even today, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial remains the fourth most successful movie of all-time1 in the United States. Nominated for nine Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Writing and Best Screenplay, the film took home four statuettes for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Sound and Best Music for John Williams' (Jaws) memorable score. The unforgettable cast includes the adorable Drew Barrymore (He's Just Not That Into You, Charlie's Angels), Henry Thomas (Dear John, Legends of the Fall), Dee Wallace (10, "Sons and Daughters") and Peter Coyote ("Law & Order: LA," Jagged Edge).
"When E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial premiered in 1982, it captured the imaginations of people young, old and everyone in between in a way that was unparalleled in modernmovie history," said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. "A global cultural phenomenon-and the biggest box-office blockbuster of its day-E.T. brought out the child in all of us. We are thrilled audiences will now be able to experience the film in the astounding quality of Blu-ray."
BONUS FEATURES ON THE
E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL ANNIVERSARY EDITION BLU-RAY™:
- The E.T. Journals: In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award®-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.: Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- Deleted Scenes: Two scenes from 2002 version of the film.
- A Look Back: A special insider's look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The E.T. Reunion: The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T.: From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion with John Williams: Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere: Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Special Olympics TV spot
- Designs, Photographs and Marketing
- UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and instantly stream and download to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice. Currently available in the United States only.
- Digital Copy: The Blu-ray™ Combo Pack includes a digital copy of the film compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners.
- pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of thedevices' larger screens and high resolution displays.
- BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!
BONUS FEATURES ON THE DVD:
- Steven Spielberg & E.T.
- Deleted Scenes
- A Look Back
- The E.T. Reunion
Watch the 'E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial' Blu-ray trailer: