A whole lot can happen in Hollywood in eight days. On June 10, Warner Bros. announced that it had passed on "Dumb and Dumber To," the long-awaited sequel to Bobby and Peter Farrelly's 1994 comedy hit, and the project looked to be dead in the water.
But, on Tuesday, June 18, the Farrelly Brothers announced that the day had been saved: Universal Studios and Red Granite Pictures will be backing the sequel, with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels returning as lovable numbskulls Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dunne.
Tuesday evening, the Farrelly Brothers posted on their Twitter account: "IT'S OFFICIAL: 'Dumb and Dumber To' is going into production with @RedGranitePics and @UniversalPics!!!" The same day, Nerdist.com posted a podcast interview in which Peter Farrelly spilled the beans about the project.
"We'll hopefully be shooting by August, in Atlanta, and be out next summer," Farrelly said. "It takes place in Rhode Island, but you shoot in Atlanta because it's cheap."
One of the main reasons the movie will begin shooting so quickly is scheduling: Daniels will begin work on a third season of the HBO drama series "The Newsroom" in the fall, and Carrey is committed to a currently untitled heist comedy with Owen Wilson.
Farrelly also said the media has exaggerated the problems he and his brother were having getting a deal for the project.
"There's been a lot of press how Warner Bros. didn't want to make ['Dumb and Dumber To'] and that's got nothing to do with that," Farrelly said of the delays. "['Dumb and Dumber'] was made originally by New Line [Cinema], and New Line now is owned by Warner Bros., but it was never really a Warner Bros. thing. Long story short, we're going to another studio and there have been negotiations – that's what's held this thing up, because we're negotiating with two other studios, Warner Bros. and New Line, about how to get it out of there."
Now that "Dumb and Dumber To" is good to go, the writing and directing team are eager to get their script on film, which follows the skinny-brained duo two decades after the events of the first movie.
"It's a little masterpiece," Farrelly said of his screenplay "It is so good that I think it makes the first one better!"
The new film will also ignore what happened in the misbegotten 2003 prequel, "Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd," just like most filmgoers.
The Farrellys and Universal are aiming to have "Dumb and Dumber To" in theaters for the summer of 2014, the 20th anniversary of the original movie. And to drum up excitement for the project, Peter Farrelly announced that he and his brother are launching a contest: make a six-second video that ties into the theme "Dumb and Dumber," post it on Vine with the hashtag "#DumbTo," and the person who makes the Farrellys' favorite clip will get a walk-on part in the movie, complete with a line of dialogue.
And if your chances of winning are one in a million … (all together now) … "You’re telling me there's a chance! Yeah!!"