You’ve heard of savory pie. (If you haven’t tried a zucchini ricotta galette, you’re seriously missing out.) But a savory tart? We’re intrigued…
Meet the whole-wheat feta tart with caramelized onions and herbs. It’s the creation of pastry chef Erin McDowell, author of The Fearless Baker: Simple Secrets for Baking Like a Pro. It’s a little bit sweet, a little bit salty and extremely delicious.
Even if you’re a baking beginner, don’t stress—you can master this recipe. “It’s a press-in crust, so it’s really easy,” McDowell tells us. “It’s made with olive oil, so you can mix the crust by hand in a bowl with just a wooden spoon or spatula, then press it into an even layer.”
Serve it with a side salad and dinner is done. Easy, huh?
Whole-Wheat Feta Tart with Caramelized Onions and Herbs
Servings: 6 servings
1 cup (120 g) all-purpose flour
⅔ cup (75 g) whole-wheat flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ cup (120 g) extra-virgin olive oil
2 to 4 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large red onions—peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
8 ounces (226 g) cream cheese, at room temperature
12 ounces (340 g) feta, cubed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
Red-pepper flakes, to taste
1. Make the crust: Place a 10-inch tart pan on a baking sheet. In a medium bowl, stir the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar and salt together to combine. Add the olive oil and stir until the mixture begins to come together. Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough is smooth.
2. Press the dough into the tart pan to create a thin, even layer (about ⅛-inch thick all the way around). Take special care to ensure it’s not too thick where the base and side of the pan meet.
3. Poke the dough all over with a fork, then transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Bake the tart crust until golden brown and baked through, 20 to 22 minutes. (If it puffs up, press the tines of a fork into the dough to deflate it.) Cool completely.
4. Make the filling: While the crust bakes, melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the red onions and sauté until they begin to soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are caramelized, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Stir in the vinegar and continue to cook until the liquid is evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the cream cheese until the mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature.
6. In a large bowl, toss the feta with the olive oil, parsley, dill, mint, oregano and red-pepper flakes to combine. When the caramelized onion mixture is cool, spread it into an even layer in the base of the cooled tart crust. Arrange the marinated feta in an even layer on top and serve.