In honor of the Frappuccino’s 20th anniversary, Starbucks announced six new “Fan Flavors” Monday morning: Cupcake, Caramel Cocoa Cluster, Cupcake, Cotton Candy, Cinnamon Roll, Red Velvet Cake, and Lemon Bar, which are all inspired by fans, Starbucks said in a release.
We took part in the birthday celebration and tried them out for ourselves.
Here’s how we rate them:
6. Red Velvet Cake: The drink was an underwhelming take on the cake-based flavor, missing its recognizable cheesecake-y taste. The chocolate-chip, mocha, raspberry, and vanilla blend left us with an awkward aftertaste.
5. Cupcake: Though the recipe boasts that this frap is a cakey upgrade of the Vanilla Bean Frappuccino with an extra dose of hazelnut, we couldn’t really taste the difference. (And looks just like it too.) It’s also suspiciously similar to the Birthday Cake Frappuccino released earlier this year, minus the raspberry whip.
4. Cotton Candy: Resembling more of a fruity sherbet instead of your traditional carnival treat, this drink has strong raspberry hints rather than an over-all sugary taste. But if you have a preference for sweeter berry-based refreshments – or want something reminiscent of your favorite childhood popsicle – go for it.
3. Caramel Coca Cluster: Starbucks is no stranger to caramel and coffee combos, but this one is an interesting take. Its toffee and coffee base is as strong yet drinkable as a hazelnut house blend, topped with sweet caramel and chocolate drizzles. It’s tasty, but not quite groundbreaking.
And we have a tie for first place!
1. Lemon Bar: We were initially unsure about the idea of a creamy lemon drink since most lemon drinks — like lemonades, slushies, and margaritas — are more icy. But this frap is just light enough, with a great mix of lemon juice topped with vanilla, whipped cream, and caramel sugar.
1. Cinnamon Roll: This frap tastes like something straight out of a Cinnabon box. The white chocolate mocha sauce that tops the cinnamon syrup-infused coffee even mimics that classic white icing. Finished off with a dash of cinnamon, this sweet and spicy drink lives up to its name.
Give these frappuccinos a try for yourself and vote for your favorite starting June 19, and the winning drink will get a slot on Starbucks’ regular menu.