Are you dreaming of finding unconditional love one day?
If you are, then you might want to add a new furry friend into your life this month. Animal shelters across South Florida are waiving adoption fees or offering other deals to help their animals find a “Furever Valentines.”
Here are the specials you can take advantage of if you’re looking to adopt a new member into your family:
Miami-Dade Pet Adoption and Protection Center
Address: 3599 NW 79th Ave. in Doral
Hours: Monday-Friday 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; closed on holidays.
▪ Adoption fees for all pets four months and older will be 50 percent off through Feb. 16 as part of the no-kill center’s “Open Your Heart and Your Home” Valentines Day promotion. Your “furry valentine” will be spayed or neutered, vaccinated and microchipped, according to Miami-Dade’s Animal Services.
▪ An “Adopt a Dog” event will also be happening at the PetSmart in Coral Gables, 3301 SW 22nd St., and the PetSmart at Midtown, 3101 N. Miami Ave., from noon to 3 p.m. on Valentines Day.
▪ To see the puppies, kittens, dogs and cats that are available for adoption, visit miamidade.gov/adoptapet.
▪ Remember, you must personally visit the Pet Adoption and Protection Center, the county’s Hope Express mobile adoption center, a participating Petco Adoption Center or another off-site even to adopt a pet. To see a full list of upcoming events, visit miamidade.gov/global/calendar/animals.page
If you’re going to adopt: Bring your driver license or a valid state ID and proof of your current address. If you are adopting a dog or puppy, you must bring a collar and leash or purchase it at the center.
Humane Society of Greater Miami
Address: 16101 W. Dixie Hwy. in North Miami Beach
Adoption Hours: Monday-Closed. Tuesday through Sunday from noon to 7 p.m. Adoptions close at 6 p.m. Center is closed on holidays.
The shelter says it is not waiving adoption fees or offering other adoption specials this month. However, all adopted pets will be sprayed or neutered, microchipped, vaccinated and be given an engraved ID tag with the pet’s name and the owner’s phone number. You will also receive a free bag of Purina ONE food, according to the shelter’s website.
Those looking for a discount might be interested in their Dolly’s Dream “square headed” dog promotion, which will reduce the adoption fee of two select bully breed dogs every month to $39.99 in hopes of finding them a new home. The promotion will also throw in a variety of free gifts, inclduing a training crate and chew toys.
Future and current dog owners will also able to get a 20 percent off discount at the Dog Bar, 1627 Euclid Ave. off Lincoln Road in South Beach through Feb. 16 as part of the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s “Unleash Your Love #onLincoln” interactive Valentines Day Instagram installation, according to the shelter’s Facebook page.
To get the discount, you will need to drop off either new or unused dog leashes, collars and harnesses at The Dog Bar. You will then recieve a 20 percent off discount you can use during February to buy a new pet accessory at the store.
The donated items will become part of the shelter’s Instagram display, which will be open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. through Saturday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday. The donated items and 10 percent of the proceeds will then go to the Humane Society of Greater Miami at the end of the month.
To see what puppies, kittens, dogs or cats are available for adoption visit humanesocietymiami.org/adopt-a-pet/
If you’re going to adopt: You must bring a picture ID. If you are a renter or own and are part of a Homeowner’s Association, you must bring a copy of your lease/rent agreement and/or pet policy, which includes the name and address of the landlord. If a pet policy is not included in the lease, you must bring a written note from your landlord approving the pet. You must also bring a collar and leash or purchase one at the shelter if you are adopting a dog.
Broward County Animal Care and Adoption
Address: 2400 SW 42nd St., Fort Lauderdale
Hours for Adoption: Monday - Closed; Tuesday-Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. The last Adoption application is accepted at 5:30 p.m.
▪ All adoption fees will be waived during February and adopters will receive a free gift bag filled with pet treats and toys, said a center spokeswoman. Your “furry valentine” will be spayed or neutered, vaccinated, microchipped. A Broward County Rabies Registration License Tag will also be included in the pet adoption, according to Broward’s Animal Care website.
▪ To see the puppies, kittens, dogs and cats that are available for adoption at the no-kill center, visit broward.org/animal/adoptions/Pages/Default.aspx
If you’re going to adopt: Bring a photo ID, such as a driver license, state-issued ID card or U.S. passport. The address on your ID must be the same address where you live, according to the center’s website. If it does not match, you must bring proof of residency, such as a utility bill.
Humane Society of Broward County
Address: 2070 Griffin Rd., just west of I-95 in Fort Lauderdale
Adoption Hours: Monday-Saturday 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sunday - 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. The Adoption desk closes at 5:30 p.m.
▪ Adoption fees will be half price for pets one year of age and older from Feb. 14 through Feb. 16 as part of the shelter’s “Adopt a Sweetheart” event. Select pets will also have their adoption fees paid by Brightstar Credit Union, according to the Humane Society of Broward County’s website.
▪ The adoption kennels will open earlier at 10 a.m. on Valentines Day.
▪ Regular adoption fees for pets over a year are $125 for dogs and $30 for cats.
▪ All pets will be spayed or neutered, vaccinated and microchipped. They will also receive a 14-day health care plan with VCA Animal Hospitals and a bag of Purina ONE food.
▪ To see the puppies, kittens, dogs, cats and other pets that are available for adoption, visit humanebroward.com/adoptions/
How to help your shelter win a Petco grant this Valentines Day
Miami-Dade Animals Services and Broward County’s Animal Care are just one of the many shelters asking animal lovers to post a photo or video with their adopted pet on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram through Valentines Day to help win a “lifesaving grant award” of up to $10,000 for the shelter where they adopted their pet.
You must use #ShelterValentine in the post and tag @petcofoundation, which is sponsoring the grant, along with your corresponding shelter such as Miami-Dade’s @adoptmiamipets or Broward’s @browardcountyanimalcare for your post to be considered. Participants may also win a “price pack” for their pet.
To learn more about Petco’s #ShelterValentine grant, visit petcofoundation.org/events/love-changes-everything/