A Utah man has been placed into a medically induced coma after he was diagnosed with a vaping-related lung disease, according to WTVT.
Sean Bills, 31, of West Valley City, was admitted to the hospital last Saturday, his family told the station. He has since been placed on life support after medical staff diagnosed him with lipoid pneumonia — a condition in which fat particles enter the lungs, according to Healthline.com. Doctors believe the lung disease was caused by vaping.
"It hit out of nowhere, that's for sure," Bills's wife, Tiffani, said. "They’ve had four other cases — my husband is the fifth at the hospital right now in critical condition because of vaping."
Both Sean and Tiffani had purportedly been vaping daily for two years, before Sean suddenly fell sick.
"It's starting with shortness of breath and pain and not being able to breathe," Tiffani explained. "That's why he's in a coma right now, is because he can't breathe on his own."
Tiffani, who shares three children with Sean, added that she has quit vaping since her husband was admitted to the hospital and hopes others do the same.
"Stop," she said. "Stop right now before it gets worse. I mean, it's not worth your life."
So far, the Utah Department of Health has identified 10 cases of severe lung disease connected to vaping, up from the five that were reported on Monday, WTVT notes.
News of Sean's condition follows a similar incident in which a Texas teenager nearly died after his lung collapsed from excessive vaping. A Florida teenager was also recently hospitalized after his lung broke down from smoking Juul pods.
Amid the increasing number of disturbing instances involving vaping, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said earlier this week that it would investigate at least 94 cases across 14 states.