While you're chopping and prepping your cauliflower for the week, set some aside to freeze for your smoothies. Yes, we're serious!
The latest health-food trend combines two things you already know and love: a white cruciferous veggie and a frozen blended breakfast drink. Cauliflower smoothies are here, and they're definitely worth trying out. Here's why.
- It might fight cancer. For one, cauliflower has antioxidants that can fight cancer. A 2015 study noticed a relationship between increased cauliflower intake and lower risk of stomach cancer.
- It's low calorie, low sugar. Amp up the thickness of your smoothie without banana - and skip the extra sugar - with this low-calorie veggie.
- It's flavorless. Kind of like how adding beans into your smoothies doesn't alter the taste (but ups the nutrients), cauliflower makes a great base for a smoothie and will take on the flavor of whatever else you add, like cinnamon, berries, coconut, and other fruit!
- It's cheap. You can get heads of cauliflower at the grocery store for a couple dollars - wash, prep, and freeze, and you've got yourself cheap breakfast prepped for the week!
- It might boost your mood. Cauliflower has omega-3s, which can combat depression and anxiety and give your mood a lift.