Entering its second full year, the Langham Chicago is already the favorite U.S. hotel among TripAdvisor users. (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
Hotel guests can be a finicky bunch, but the Langham Chicago has excelled at pleasing them since it opened in September 2013. Its latest accomplishment, announced today, is earning No. 1 on TripAdvisor’s Travelers’ Choice Awards list of the most popular hotels in the U.S.
TripAdvisor based its results on millions of user reviews and opinions collected over the past year on the site.
Located in the IBM Building and overlooking the Chicago River, the 316-room Langham has earned high marks for its service, amenities that include a 67-foot swimming pool and spa with herbal salt scrubs, and room features that include floor-to-ceiling windows.
The No. 1-rated hotel in the world: Gili Lankanfushi Maldives. (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
At last check, out of 840 reviews on TripAdvisor, the Langham had earned the maximum 5 rating 746 times, with another 77 ratings of 4. One amusing user review calls it “The best hotel I’ve ever stayed at. It’s like the Wynn/Encore, except without the “you are just lucky to be here attitude.” Also, unlike the Wynn, there was not a $10 charge for ketchup.”
While the Langham reigns supreme among U.S. hotels, it ranked just 22nd in TripAdvisor’s world rankings. Topping the list is the Gili Lankanfushi Maldives, a luxury resort with an average nightly rate of $2,199 on TripAdvisor. Gili Lankanfushi unseated last year’s worldwide winner, the Grand Hotel Kronenhof in Pontresina, Switzerland.
Here are the top 10 U.S. hotels on the list, with their average nightly rates:
1. Langham Chicago, $442
The French Quarter Inn (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
2. The French Quarter Inn, Charleston, S.C., $465: A 50-room boutique hotel that mixes Southern charm with European decor, and champagne for all guests.
3. Bardesonno, Yountville, Calif., $805: If you can’t find enough relaxation at the wineries of Napa Valley, this 62-room hotel offers a rooftop pool and in-room spa treatments. Its on-site Lucy Restaurant gets rave reviews as well.
The Grand Del Mar (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
4. The Grand Del Mar, San Diego, $602: Last year’s Travelers Choice winner slipped a few spots but is still a big hit among guests for its 21,000-square-foot spa, par-72 golf course, boutique shopping, and adults-only pool. The 249 rooms on the property are no slouch either.
5. Old Edwards Inn and Spa, Highlands, N.C., $312: Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, this rustic hotel earns high marks for its spa, hiking trails, and its award-winning Madison’s restaurant.
The Oxford Hotel (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
6. The Oxford Hotel, Bend, Ore., $306: This 59-room property calls itself an “eco-chic boutique” for its sustainable design, including an organic on-site restaurant. Located near Mt. Bachelor, the hotel has access to many outdoor activities, such as skiing, biking, and rafting.
21c Museum Hotel (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
7. 21c Museum Hotel, Bentonville, Ark., $224: This stylish 104-room property is more than a hotel — it also houses its own 24-hour contemporary art museum with rotating exhibitions. The rooms include custom-designed furniture and lots of light.
8. Villas of Grand Cypress, Orlando, Fla., $387: If the attractions of Disney World aren’t for you, this lushly resort has its own activities. The golfing here is first rate, including 45 holes of Jack Nicklaus-designed courses, and kids who are took cool for Mickey can occupy themselves with rock climbing and tennis.
9. Tivoli Lodge, Vail, Colo., $327: This 66-room hotel near Vail Village gets high marks for its easy access to skiing, fantastic views, and friendly touches from the staff, including complimentary fresh baked cookies, hot chocolate, cider and tea.
The Inn at Lost Creek (Courtesy: TripAdvisor)
10. The Inn at Lost Creek, Telluride, Colo., $295: Like Tivoli Lodge, this is a prime hotel for winter sports enthusiasts, with its location at Telluride Ski Resort. With just 29 rooms and three studios, there’s a lot of attention to detail for each guest here, including a private fireplace and kitchenette in each room.
Here are TripAdvisor’s 10 top-rated hotels in the world:
1. Gili Lankanfushi Maldives
2. Nayara Hotel, Spa & Gardens; La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
3. Shinta Mani Club Siem Reap; Siem Reap, Cambodia
4. Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace; Budapest, Hungary
5. Belmond Palacio Nazarenas; Cusco, Peru
6. Cocoa Island by COMO; Cocoa Island, Maldives
7. Hotel Alpin Spa Tuxerhof; Tux, Austria
8. Al Maha, A Luxury Collection Desert Resort & Spa; Murqquab, United Arab Emirates
9. Hotel Estalagem St Hubertus; Gramado, Brazil
10. Tambo del Inka, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa; Urubamba, Peru