Tory Lanez Has Been Officially Charged In the Megan Thee Stallion Shooting

Christopher Luu
·2 mins read
Tory Lanez Has Been Officially Charged In the Megan Thee Stallion Shooting
Tory Lanez Has Been Officially Charged In the Megan Thee Stallion Shooting

Tory Lanez Has Been Officially Charged In the Megan Thee Stallion Shooting

The incident occurred back in July.

Earlier this year, Meghan the Stallion was shot in the foot. After the incident, there was a flurry of conflicting information, even though Meghan identified rapper Tory Lanez (real name Daystar Shemuel Shua Peterson) as the shooter. Today, the Los Angeles District Attorney released a statement officially charging Lanez with one felony count of assault with a semiautomatic firearm. He also faces a gun allegation and causing "great bodily injury."

Will Heath/NBC/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images

RELATED: Halle Berry, JoJo, and Michael B. Jordan Support Megan Thee Stallion After She Was Shot by Tory Lanez

Lanez's arraignment is scheduled for October 13. The report outlines the incident, reporting that Lanez shot Meghan in the feet "several times."

"On July 12, the defendant and the 24-year-old victim got into an argument while riding in an SUV in the Hollywood Hills," the statement reads. "The victim exited the vehicle and Peterson is accused of shooting several times at her feet and wounding her."

If convicted, Lanez faces up to 22 years and eight months in prison.

Meghan offered her own version of the incident after it occurred. In an Instagram post, she explained that she was not arrested — several outlets claimed that she was taken into custody — and that she would be making a full recovery.

RELATED: Megan Thee Stallion Says the Person Who Shot Her Was Tory Lanez

"The narrative that is being reported about Sunday's morning events are inaccurate and I'd like to set the record straight. On Sunday morning, I suffered gunshot wounds, as a result of a crime that was committed against me and done with the intention to physically harm me," she wrote. "I was never arrested, the police officers drove me to the hospital where I underwent surgery to remove the bullets. I'm incredibly grateful to be alive and that I'm expected to make a full recovery, but it was important for me to clarify the details about this traumatic night. I'm currently focused on my recovery, so I can return back to my life and back to making music as soon as possible."

Florida-based attorney Jim Lewis, a representative for Lanez, told Vulture, "The 'victim' doesn't appear to be seriously injured, since I saw her on Saturday Night Live last week."

Megan Thee Stallion’s lawyer, Alex Spiro, told Vulture, "No comment."