- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Leave it to Patti Stanger to get you hooked up on the plane. (Randy St. Nichols)
By Jackie Strause
As a guru on relationships, Patti Stanger preaches a lot of best practices. From “chivalry is not dead” to “no sex before monogamy,” Bravo’s no-nonsense Millionaire Matchmaker and Millionaire’s Club founder has been doling out “Patti-isms” on love for over a decade. If you haven’t been taking notes, one all-encompassing takeaway is that love can be found everywhere and anywhere — and 10,000 feet in the air is no exception.
“The airplane provides an interesting setting for singles — no one can walk away!” Stanger tells Yahoo Travel. But does being trapped in an aircraft cabin mean that any old pickup line will work? “Absolutely not,” says Stanger. “You have one shot to make an impression, and once you see those earbuds go in or that sleep mask go on, you know you’ve missed your window.”
So the next time you see an attractive frequent flier seated in your row, Stanger suggests, try one of these 25 icebreakers. “Be confident and charming,” she advises. “Sense of humor goes a long way, especially on a long, cross-country flight. And ladies, always dress to impress — no sweats!”
From a simple introduction to flirting with the idea of the mile-high club, there’s something here for the lovestruck traveler in everyone.
Buying a drink works just as well in the air as it does on land. (Getty Images)
1. “Can I buy you a drink?” Or order one without asking him or her.
2. “Are you traveling alone?”
3. “You shouldn’t have to lift your bag.”
Hmmm … 26F … I must find a way to sit in 26E! (Getty Images)
4. “You wouldn’t believe what I had to trade for this seat next to you.”
5. “What are you watching?”
6. “Could we even fit in the bathroom?”
7. During turbulence: “Don’t worry, I’ll hold you.”
Offering to be a human pillow counts as a grand romantic gesture in some countries. (Getty Images)
8. “I won’t mind if you cuddle with me in your sleep.”
9. “Want to share my dessert?”
10. “Want to share my Xanax?”
11. “My TV is broken — care to spare an earbud?”
Handholding is not guaranteed to comfort nerves but will probably take your mind off the flight. (Getty Images)
12. “I get nervous when I fly; do you mind if I hold your hand?”
13. “Coffee, tea, or me?”
14. On Virgin America’s in-flight chat: “Hey, beautiful” / “Hi, handsome.”
15. “I see you ordered the kosher meal; are you single?”
16. “When you sleep, you look like an angel.”
“I’d definitely help you down the inflatable slide.” (Getty Images)
17. “If we go down, I’ll save you first.”
18. In the bathroom line: “Please, you go ahead.”
19. “Can you keep a secret? I’m packin’.”
What lady can resist a man in uniform? (Getty Images)
20. Pilot: “I had to leave the cockpit to say hello.”
21. “I’m glad I used my miles for first class — you’re worth the upgrade.”
22. “How did you get through security without setting the sensors off?”
23. “Can I show you around when we land?”
24. “I have a car picking me up — need a lift?”
It was love at first flight. (Getty Images)
25. “I don’t believe in sex before monogamy, but I do believe in kissing under your blanket.”
Download Patti Stanger’s new audio program to find love in 30 days, The Single Girls’ Handbook, at Singlegirlshandbook.com. “Millionaire Matchmaker” airs Sunday at 9:30 ET on Bravo.