Due to the weak euro, visiting Paris has never been more affordable. (Photo: Thinkstock)
It’s the day we’ve all been waiting for. As of Monday, the euro to dollar conversion became pretty much equal, which means your money will now go a lot farther on a European vacation than it would have last year.
If you’ve always dreamed of visiting Paris, Amsterdam or Rome — now is the time.
Not only will your dollar go further, but there are a few weeks when airfare will also be particularly low.
The travel booking website Hopper predicts that the beginning of May and the end of August are the best times to fly if you want to catch a break on airfares from the United States to Europe. Hopper also predicts that travelers can expect to see the highest prices at the end of July.
Related: Smackdown: Paris vs. London
But it’s not just when you fly that matters. The specific airport that you fly into also plays a role. Cheapflights.com did the math and calculated the most affordable airports from the U.S. to Europe—so you have a much better idea of how much your flight may cost.
The big highlight: The average for all of the flights was below $1000. Also of note is the fact that, surprisingly, the bigger airports may not be the cheapest option. In Paris, for instance, it’s cheaper to fly into Orly Airport than it is to fly into Charles De Gualle, which is the city’s bigger, more bustling go-to destination. The top three cheapest European airports are Dublin, Ireland (DUB), Orly (ORY) in Paris, France, and Capodichino (NP), in Naples, Italy.
Unlike many small airports, Paris’ Orly Airport is actually cheaper than the bigger Charles De Gualle. (Photo: Hemis/Alamy)
So before you book your flight to Europe, consult this list of the cheapest flights from the U.S. to be sure you’re stretching your dollar as far as possible—and aim to fly at the beginning of May or at the end of August if you can. Cheers to your future travels.
1. Dublin, Ireland (DUB) $620
2. Orly, (Paris) France (ORY) $694
3. Capodichino, (Naples) Italy (NAP) $694
4. Malpensa, (Milan) Italy (MXP) $694
5. Warsaw Chopin, Poland (WAW) $706
6. Madrid-Barajas, Spain (MAD) $710
7. Barcelona International, Spain (BCN) $717
8. Shannon, Ireland (SNN) $722
9. Schiphol, (Amsterdam) Netherlands (AMS) $729
10. Lisbon Portela, Portugal (LIS) $737
11. Charles de Gaulle, (Paris) France (CDG) $738
12. Leonardo da Vinci/Fiumicino, (Rome) Italy (FCO) $739
13. Eleftherios Venizelos, (Athens) Greece (ATH) $742
14. Gatwick, (London) UK (LGW )$750
15. Brussels Airport, Belgium (BRU) $763
16. Berlin Schoenefeld, Germany (SXF) $770
17. Venice Marco Polo (Tessera), Italy (VCE) $784
18. Zurich-Kloten, Switzerland (ZRH) $785
19. Franz Josef Strauß, (Munich) Germany (MUC) $821
20. Manchester International, UK (MAN) $870
21. Frankfurt International, Germany (FRA) $886
22. Edinburgh, Scotland (EDI) $887
23. Keflavik, (Reykjavik) Iceland (KEF) $922
24. Glasgow International, Scotland (GLA) $936
25. Heathrow, (London) UK (LHR) $941