Just a few months after teens overwhelmed the internet with videos of themselves eating Tide Pods, they’ve moved on to another trend that has them biting into banana peels and plastic food wrappers in what’s been dubbed the “shell-on” challenge.
As seen on a Snapchat channel dedicated to the viral videos, teens are not only digging their teeth into a number of different food items, but also ensuring that they take a mouthful of the packaging, or “shell,” that it comes in.
Arizona Central spoke with Liam Hamm, a high school sophomore in Tempe, Ariz., who has participated in the challenge by biting into a bag or carrots – plastic packaging included.
“It just looks funny, because it's not really a shell but people are calling things shells. I guess that is what's funny about it,” he told the Arizona outlet. “It's the Tide Pod challenge minus the fact that it's not dangerous.”
The challenge certainly isn’t as threatening as ingesting laundry detergent. However, as teens start biting into the metal cans that their beans and soda come in, people online aren’t shy to admit that the trend is “stupid.”
If you give teens long enough they’ll surely find something stupid to do.— Yack Puddle (@DiddyKongCrady) April 17, 2019
But hey 16 year olds should be able to vote— Brian Dennie (@BDFindLaw) April 17, 2019
#shellonchallenge just another example of how today's. youth is so stupid and moronic. All are complete wastes of oxygen— Papic2233 (@papic2233) April 17, 2019
Others are saying that at least one part of the challenge is hardly a challenge at all.
Idk about this “shell on challenge” but I’ve been eating the entire apple, core and all, for years.— KG (@ThaKiddVicious) April 12, 2019
I did eat whole apples (with a core) before it was cool. Nice.— Andris (@Andris_Sh) April 17, 2019
Snapchat didn’t immediately respond to Yahoo Lifestyle’s request for comment regarding the channel hosted on its platform. Still, teens are laughing about it and uploading their own videos. So far, Hamm said that his favorite entry has been somebody who bit into a lemon peel and accidentally got lemon juice in their eye.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle: