Recipe by Ruth Cousineau; Photograph by Jeffrey Schad
with food and prop styling by Paul Grimes, Gourmet
This pretty-in-pink punch is a festive and delicious way to kick-off your awards show party. If you prefer a punch that's less sweet, use fresh squeezed pomegranate juice instead of bottled (see Cooks' Notes).
makes 8 servings
active time: 10 min
total time: 1 1/2 hr
* 1 1/4 cups water
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 (4-inch long) strips lemon zest
* 1 cup chilled bottled pomegranate juice
* 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 1 750 ml bottle chilled pink sparkling wine or champagne
* lemon twists
See more:Party-Perfect Aristocrat Sparkling Punch Recipe from 1942
* Bring water, sugar, and lemon zest to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar, then boil 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add pomegranate and lemon juice, then chill until very cold, at least 1 hour.
* Just before serving, pour pomegranate syrup into a 2-quart glass pitcher and add champagne.
* Syrup can be made 2 days ahead and kept chilled.
* To squeeze juice from fresh pomegranates, halve them horizontally and squeeze them, like oranges, with a reamer.
More from Gourmet:
17 Delicious Cheese Recipes
Top 10 Timeless Recipes
Gourmet's Classic Comfort Foods
15 Perfect Pasta Dishes
The Best Ways to Eat Meatballs