By Charlotte Hilton Anderson, REDBOOK
There's something about Costco that brings out the weird in people. It was the place after all where a woman asked me with a totally straight face if all my kids have the same father. (She even had the nerve to argue when I assured her they did. "But they all look so different!" Paternity test on aisle 12!) So today I just had to smile when an elderly woman pointed out my 2-year-old daughter's mismatched shoes with an aghast, "Didn't you notice that before you left the house?" Laughing, I answered, "I did! And as long as she puts her own shoes on she can wear them however she wants. There are just some arguments that aren't worth having with kids!" After I got home I wondered what else besides shoes do other parents put in the not-worth-it category.
Related: 28 Moves for a Wow-That-Was-Amazing Night
1) "I'm not having the 'I don't like it' fight during dinner anymore. The menu options at dinner now are take it or leave it. No more timing, no more explaining the benefits of veggies so on and so forth." - Summer
2) "I don't fight about clothes at bedtime. My boys don't like jammies, so I'm down with them sleeping in undies." - Anna
3) "Hair is not worth it to me. If it is clean and brushed, that is all that matters." - Teri
Related: How to Dress Sexy
4) "Our big argument is using the fork! She knows how but it's faster to just use her hands! And sometimes we just let it go." - Jamie
5) "My boys walked through the store in a superman cape more than once. As long as they aren't noisy or flying through the isles, I think it's fine." - Shellie
6) "I never fought the getting dressed battle. If my kids wanted to go out in their pj's that was their choice. Funny how they rarely did wear pjs out of the house, once they had the choice!" - Alison
Related: Frightening Celeb Hairstyle DON'Ts
7) "My sister-in-law puts hair color and boys' earrings into that category." - Emily
8) "Making beds. Who cares? Not worth the battle." - Justine
9) "I used to have battles if my kids didn't drink their milk at mealtime, and then I realized that they are eating a well-rounded diet including plenty of dairy in other ways. If they don't want their milk, they can have water instead." - Megan
Related: Oral Sex Techniques That Will Blow Him Away
10) "I don't pick my battles with clothes. Whether its inside out, backwards (usually the underwear), or mismatched, as long as he's dressed then that's good enough for me. The other day he wore all 'different' kinds of camouflage including his shirt, pants, socks and backpack. Because its all camo, then it must match, right?" - Allison
What arguments do you feel are just not worth having with your children?
More from REDBOOK:
Permissions:Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.