By Carly Cardellino
1. They make you question your sanity. You're in a fight about something stupid and they call you a bitch. You: "I can't believe you just called me a bitch!" Them: "No, I didn't." Did you hear them wrong? Are you ~cRaZy~? No, and no.
2. They know your strengths and weaknesses, and prey on the latter. Please do not go the gym with your girlfriend, only to pick apart how and what she works out. That is not motivational.
3. They always want to hang out with you. And sometimes they do things to keep you from hanging out with your friends. Not healthy. At all.
4. They tell you they want to take the next relationship steps, but then never actually take the next relationship steps. Stringing someone along is just mean, guys.
5. They berate you for doing things you enjoy. "Why are you always going out dancing? That's so college of you." Oh, because dancing is fun, so get over it, please.
6. They have double standards for how you should behave in a relationship. If they're setting rules for you but not following them themselves DTMF. A relationship is a partnership, not a dictatorship.
7. You're always wrong. Or at least they make you feel that way. Oh, and they always win the arguments, so don't even try.
8. They always get their way when making plans/picking the movie/choosing the restaurant. So, no, you won't be seeing Tammy or 22 Jump Street this weekend.
9. They point out things you could improve about yourself. Anyone who nitpicks your body/personality/career that much is pretty insecure about themselves.
10. You always have to sleep at their house instead of yours. Living out of your purse gets old. Fast.
11. They come on full force at night, but are distant in the morning. If they love you sooo much after dinner but kind of like you I guess over breakfast, it's not a very healthy relationship.
12. They make very vague plans so when you follow up on them, "It was all in your head" and "they never said that." But remember, they make you feel like you're crazy, so you probably did just make that up. Wait, no you didn't.
13. You find yourself planning your life around their schedule. Who died and made their time more valuable than yours? Oh, no one? Thought so.
14. They tell you you're not being a "good girlfriend" if you don't do exactly what they want to do. I'm sorry if going to a bar to watch football for 10 hours with all your friends doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Also, see No. 3.
15. They only do something sweet when they want something in return. "I made dinner! Oh, and can you do all of my laundry while I watch TV? Because I made ~*~dInNeR~*~."
16. Their selective memory makes it impossible to have a normal discussion about anything. Of course they don't remember that your sister just had a baby.
17. Whenever they hurt your feelings, they were "just trying to have an adult, honest conversation." If you're upset because of something they said, who cares what their intentions were?
More From Cosmopolitan:
Are You On The Verge Of A Public Meltdown?
Women In Relationships Find Other Men Less Attractive
4 Dance Moves That Anyone Can Master
What It's Really Like To Be In An Open Relationship