Thanksgiving is one day away, and even "Top Chef" finalists have some surprising holiday staples. You might think Carla Hall would make every side dish from scratch, but there's one item she just can't live without: canned cranberry sauce.
"I grew up with canned cranberry sauce," she says. "I still want that on the table. I want to be in the kitchen when it comes out of the can."
Carla also shared a great idea for what to do with the fridge full of Thanksgiving leftovers: Upside-Down Turkey Sandwich Casserole. Simply coat a casserole dish with Country Crock, put mashed potatoes in it and create a bowl shape, and then fill with turkey and vegetables. Top with breadcrumbs or cornbread for the perfect post-Thanksgiving treat. (Recipe below.)
The co-host of "The Chew" was a model before she was a chef, and she stays in shape by being careful with her portions. "I say no to nothing and yes to moderation," she says. But after getting the job on "The Chew," she had a hard time sticking to her mantra. "The first three months, I didn't know that that was it. I would finish my entire plate. I gained 20 pounds!"
To find out what Carla says is her worst fear as a chef, check out this episode of "Daily Shot."
Upside-Down Hot Turkey Sandwich Casserole
• 4 Tbsp. Country Crock® Spread , melted
• 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
• 3 cups coarsely chopped cooked turkey breast
• 1 cup cooked mixed vegetables , (such as peas and carrots)
• 1/2 cup prepared turkey gravy
• 1/2 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
• 2 slices whole wheat sandwich bread , cut into cubes
• 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat 8-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon Country Crock® Spread. Spoon in mashed potatoes, then drizzle with 1 tablespoon Spread. Top with turkey and vegetables and gravy. Dollop with cranberry sauce. Toss bread cubes with remaining 2 tablespoons Spread and poultry seasoning and sprinkle on top.
2. Bake 30 minutes or until heated through and bread cubes are toasted.
• Cost per recipe*: $5.23 Cost per serving*: $.87 *Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.