The Festival of Lights East Peoria Illinois, known as FOLEPI, competed in the “The Great Christmas Light Fight” Wednesday. FOLEPI is actually a light parade comprised of 40 handmade light floats. And some of them are out of this world.
The parade featured iconic spaceships from blockbuster franchises like “Star Wars” and “Star Trek.” A Tie Fighter, X-Wing and Starship Enterprise were among some of the fan favorites.
“Our goal is truly to bring these toys to life,” said one of the organizers, “and so we take the scale model, and they enlarge it and bring it right here in front of you, and that's how it looks so real.”
FOLEPI ended up winning in a battle of heavyweights and the organizers took home a cool $50,000.
- This is the one that gets it, right here.
- Steam train, 165 feet long, 165,000 lights, five cars. That is a big boy. Look at that steam coming out.
- The Festival of Lights East Peoria, Illinois parade, known as FOLEPI, competed in "The Great Christmas Light Fight" Wednesday, and some of the light floats were out of this world.
- Now we're getting into a little space age right here. Check this out. That's a Tie Fighter, right?
- Tie fighter.
- Wow, that's cool. He's got to get out of the way in a hurry, because the X-Wing's coming right at him.
- Viewers especially liked the Star Wars and Star Trek floats which were modeled after the iconic spaceships featured in the popular science fiction franchises.
- Our goal is truly to bring these toys to life, and so we take the scale model and we enlarge it, and bring it right here in front of you, and that's how it looks so real.
- We have never seen anything like this on "The Great Christmas Light Fight." This guy is great, the Tie Fighter? Come on.
- The parade, which began in 1984, has grown into 40 handmade floats that create dazzling displays of holiday spirit, making it a true Christmas light heavyweight champion.
- You guys are the heavyweight champion.
And you just won $50,000.