Sheet-Pan Chicken Shawarma with Lemon-Tahini Drizzle
Servings: 6 servings
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and sliced ½ inch thick
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Grated zest of ½ lemon (1 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (from ½ lemon)
1 medium red onion, sliced (about 1½ cups)
2 medium red bell peppers, cut into ¼-inch slices (about 3 cups)
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (4 cups)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
1 garlic clove, minced
½ teaspoon honey (optional; omit for Whole30)
Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
1 lemon, cut into wedges, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line two large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make the Chicken: Place the sliced chicken in a large bowl with the olive oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, lemon zest and lemon juice. Toss to coat evenly and set aside.
3. Make the Veggies: On one of the prepared baking sheets, place the red onion, red bell pepper and cauliflower florets. Add the olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Toss to coat evenly.
4. On the other prepared baking sheet, spread the chicken mixture into a single even layer.
5. Transfer both sheets to the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the veggies are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Make the Drizzle: Meanwhile, in a small jar or container, combine the tahini with 2 tablespoons warm water, the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and honey. Shake until well combined and set aside until ready to serve.
7. When the chicken is done, remove the chicken and veggies from the oven. Distribute the veggies and chicken among six plates, garnish with chopped parsley and drizzle with the lemon-tahini mixture. Serve with a wedge of lemon.
Note: If you have leftover lemon-tahini drizzle, it will likely harden when you store it in the fridge. To thin it for serving, add about 1 tablespoon warm water and shake it.