Rose McGowan has accused Harvey Weinstein of raping her. McGowan has talked in broad terms about the incident that happened between her and Weinstein in 1997, the details of which seemed blocked by a nondisclosure agreement. In a Twitter thread posted Thursday afternoon, addressed to Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, McGowan said, “I told the head of your studio that HW raped me. Over & over I said it.”
In 1997, according to the New York Times, an incident between McGowan and Weinstein in a hotel room during the Sundance Film Festival prompted the ex-mogul to pay her a $100,000 settlement. McGowan didn’t speak to the Times about what happened, but has continued to imply online that Weinstein sexually assaulted her. (She is reported to be the anonymous actress who pulled out of Ronan Farrow’s New Yorker story, telling him, “The legal angle is coming at me and I have no recourse.”) This week, McGowan asked if she’s “allowed to say rapist,” and in October 2016, she said she was raped by a studio executive. McGowan’s tweets come just after her account was suspended by Twitter Wednesday night.
1) I told the head of your studio that HW raped me. Over & over I said it. He said it hadn’t been proven. I said I was the proof.rose mcgowan (@rosemcgowan) October 12, 2017
- Blake Lively Says She Was Sexually Harassed by a Makeup Artist
- Evan Rachel Wood Explains Why She Has Not Named Her Abusers
- Why the Harvey Weinstein Sexual-Harassment Allegations Didn’t Come Out Until Now
- I’m a Coward
- Rose McGowan Has Been Suspended From Twitter