Juventas star Cristiano Ronaldo told Portuguese television “2018 was probably my worst year ever,” according to the Associated Press.
Last October, it was revealed publicly that Ronaldo was accused of a sexual assault by Kathryn Mayorga in 2009, after Mayorga challenged a legal settlement between the two. Last month, a district attorney ruled that Ronaldo would not face criminal charges, saying it could not be proven “beyond a reasonable doubt” that Ronaldo committed sexual assault.
In a legal filing last week attempting to have a separate civil suit thrown out, Ronaldo admitted he paid Mayorga $375,000 in a settlement and confidentiality agreement. Ronaldo had previously denied paying the woman.
The 34-year-old told Portuguese TV that he was hurt that his honor was questioned.
He said that “when people question your honor, it hurts, it hurts a lot.”
Ronaldo later said that he did not want to speak about the case, but it was difficult to hold back “when people attack your honor.”
On Monday, Ronaldo tweeted that he was “back on track and focused on the first game of the season.”
More from Yahoo Sports: