According to the resale web site, Rolex accounted for 25 percent of luxury watch sales over the past year, with stainless-steel models, and the company’s Daytona, Datejust, Submariner and Sea-Dweller series watches accounting for the top 10 styles on eBay globally, with the Daytona 116520 leading the way.
More from WWD
- EXCLUSIVE: Louis Vuitton, NBA Confirm Multiyear Partnership
- EXCLUSIVE: Dior Expands Jordan Collaboration to Apparel and Accessories
- Benji B on Booking Cybotron for Louis Vuitton Men's
The Rolex Daytona at one point held the record for the highest priced wristwatch ever sold at auction, selling for $17.8 million in 2017. (The watch that sold at auction was owned by Paul Newman.) The model also was referenced by rapper Pusha T in his Grammy Award-nominated album “Daytona” from 2018.
The most expensive Rolex to sell on eBay between 2018 and so far in 2020 was an 18-karat Rose Gold Masterpiece Pearlmaster Pave for just over $100,000, but the most expensive watch sold on the web site was a Patek Philippe Grand Complications Watch for $535,499.
EBay is predicting rose gold and retro styles will be popular trends for 2020, as well as brighter colors such as emerald, salmon and bold blues.
Best of WWD
- The Eight Must-See Moments From the 2020 Grammy Awards
- American Dream: What to Know About New Jersey's Supersized Shopping Mall
- The Biggest Spring 2020 Fashion Trends From the Runways