Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad
Servings: 4 servings
2 medium red beets
2 medium golden beets
½ cup raw walnuts
6 Valencia oranges (or a mix of other types, like navel and blood)
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
8 cups baby arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the beets in a glass baking dish or Dutch oven. Add 1 cup water and cover. Roast until the beets can be easily pierced with a knife, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool completely.
2. Meanwhile, spread the walnuts on an unlined baking sheet and toast in the oven until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Cool, then roughly chop and set aside.
3. Use your hands to remove the skins from the beets, then cut off the tops and bottoms. Slice the beets into thin rounds, about ⅛ inch thick, and set aside.
4. Peel 4 of the oranges and then cut off the tops and bottoms. Stand an orange on a cut end and, using a sharp knife, pare away the rind and white pith in strips from top to bottom, following the contour of the fruit. Lay the orange on its side and cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds, yielding 6 to 8 slices. Repeat with the remaining trimmed oranges.
5. Grate the zest from the remaining 2 oranges into a small bowl. Cut the oranges in half and squeeze the juice into the same bowl. Whisk in the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper to make the dressing.
6. Place the arugula in a bowl and toss with ¼ cup of the dressing. Arrange the dressed greens on a platter, then lay the beets and oranges on top. Sprinkle with the toasted walnuts and drizzle with more dressing.