It’s spring, so bring on the floral dresses, sandals and allllll the seasonal produce. But before you buy all the peas and asparagus at the farmers market, consider treating yourself to a few stalks of rhubarb. This tart, seasonal veggie can do so much more than pie—it’s a versatile ingredient that can be added to desserts, entrées and even cocktails. Here are 30 rhubarb recipes to sink your teeth into while the veggie is at its most delicious.
1. Cheater’s Mini Rhubarb Galettes
Ready in under an hour. (No, seriously—you can thank the store-bought pie dough.)
2. Coconut Rice Pudding with Rhubarb Compote
This 30-minute, single-serving dessert is prime for the end of a socially distant Easter brunch.
3. Johnnycakes with Rhubarb and Sour Cherries
Johnnycakes are Southern-style, cornmeal-based pancakes that blow ordinary flapjacks way out of the water. (Sorry, not sorry.)
4. Rhubarb Bars
Lemon? We don't know her. This twist on a classic is just as tart, thanks to homemade rhubarb curd and purée. Don't even get us started on the cream cheese-shortbread base.
5. Polenta Cake with Raspberry Rhubarb Compote
Gluten-free baking that satisfies all the palates. Good looking out, Coterie member Phoebe Lapine.
6. Honey Roasted Rhubarb Power Greens Salad
Introducing your new favorite lunch. Liven up your choice of kale, arugula or Swiss chard with salty goat cheese, crispy sunflower seeds and honey-balsamic rhubarb.
7. Chickpea and Avocado Pita Tostadas with Rhubarb Radish Slaw
We’re all about this Mexican-Mediterranean fusion recipe by Coterie member Liz Harris.
8. Rhubarb Berry Crisp
Hint: Serve this masterpiece by Coterie member Maria Lichty with vanilla ice cream. (As if you needed a reminder.)
9. Rhubarb Shallot Crostini
The topping is like a hybrid of onion jam and rhubarb compote. Bet you can’t eat just one.
10. Vanilla Chia Overnight Oats with Easy Stewed Rhubarb
It's a good morning indeed.
11. Strawberry Rhubarb Rose Sangria
Might we suggest kicking off Mother's Day brunch with this pink, fruity libation?
12. Crispy Rhubarb Lemon Chicken Bake
It's Paleo, dairy- and gluten-free and cooks in one pan. Dreams really do come true.
13. Rhubarb Passion Margarita
The secret to taking this citrusy sipper over the top? Four-ingredient strawberry-rhubarb jam.
14. Peanut Butter and Rhubarb Jelly Hot French Toast Sammie
Aka the most epic breakfast-lunch mashup ever. Make the rhubarb-berry jelly ahead of time and store it in the fridge for easy spreading whenever a craving strikes.
15. Roasted Strawberry Rhubarb and Yogurt Parfaits
Sure, the fruit sauce tastes delicious with Greek yogurt and honey-almond granola. But it'd also taste great on toast, ice cream or cheesecake.
16. Whole Wheat Rhubarb Scones
Using whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose makes the scones more filling and hearty.
17. Baked Canadian Camembert with Rhubarb Compote
Like your favorite holiday appetizer got a spring makeover. You're only four ingredients and a half-hour away from ooey-gooey bliss.
18. Roasted Salmon with Rhubarb
And you thought rhubarb only worked in desserts. The recipe calls for drizzling it with maple syrup and sherry wine, which will round out its tartness and tenderize the stalks.
19. Upside-Down Peach-Rhubarb Polenta Cake
Bake this for the first barbecue you host this season and let the oohs and aahs commence.
20. Easy Stewed Rhubarb
Once you bring home a bundle of rhubarb from the farmers market, it'll only take one more pantry staple to make the magic happen. Spoon it onto pancakes, waffles, ice cream, cornbread and beyond.
21. Roasted Rhubarb and Chèvre Grilled Cheese
Crusty bread + earthy goat cheese + roasted rhubarb + spring onions = the fanciest lunch you'll ever make.
22. Strawberry Rhubarb Slab Pie
It may *look* like dessert. But this slab pie is basically a grown-up Pop-Tart in our book, so go ahead and have a slice for breakfast. It'll be our little secret.
23. Raspberry-Rhubarb Bellini Smoothie with Blueberries
Why should strawberries get to have all the fun? This Prosecco-based bellini calls on frozen blueberries and raspberries instead, along with rhubarb-mint simple syrup.
24. Rhubarb Honey Goat Cheese
Spread it on crackers, slather it on toast or serve it on a platter with pita chips for dipping.
25. Rhubarb Crisp
No matter what season it is, this truth remains: In-season fruit always deserves to be turned into a crisp, crumble or pie. Bonus, this version comes together in less than an hour.
26. Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
For when you want all the flavor of homemade pie, but only have the energy for a fraction of the work.
27. Apple-Rhubarb Crisp with Maple and Ginger
Use semi-tart apples that can hold their shape in the oven, like Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Fuji. (P.S.: Just use plant-based butter to make it vegan.)
28. Glazed Peanut Butter and Jelly Doughnuts with Strawberry-Rhubarb Chia Jelly
In true sandwich fashion, the doughnuts are filled with warm peanut butter and jelly instead of the PB being incorporated into the dough.
29. Rhubarb Cobbler with Mint
We're willing to bet that every ingredient you need besides fresh rhubarb and mint is in your kitchen right now.
30. Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream
We didn't think it could get any better than a slice of strawberry-rhubarb pie topped with vanilla ice cream...then we found this recipe.