You don’t need to be an expert to revamp a dresser. In this episode of ITK: Furniture Flip, our host and DIY-pro Bre Bringier (@redesignbybre) demonstrates how she modernizes a dull dresser using simple tricks to give it a tropical green finish and gold knobs. With these hacks, you can easily give new life to any old furniture — or other types of furniture you want to make over.
In this episode, Bre works on a small wooden piece she found on Facebook Marketplace for $50. Originally from Amazon, the piece is designed in a dark brown color that’s in good condition but looks pretty boring. So Bre wants to redesign it to be fun and unique using a peel-and-stick wallpaper hack. Here’s how she does it:
1. Start by removing all hardware, including cabinet handles and drawer pulls.
2. Give the entire piece a scuff sand using the sanding block. Lightly go back and forth across the entire piece once or twice to ensure the paint sticks.
3. Prep for painting: Remove the cabinet doors or any other section you plan to use wallpaper on.
4. Using the paint roller, paint the entire piece, excluding any sections reserved for wallpaper. Let dry, then paint a second coat.
5. To apply wallpaper to cabinet doors: Lay the wallpaper out flat, then place the cabinet doors onto the wallpaper. Use the craft cutter to cut out the wallpaper around the cabinet door to create a piece the exact size you need. Peel the backing off the wallpaper and apply the wallpaper to each cabinet door. Use a card to smooth out the wallpaper and ensure there are no air bubbles. Use the knife to trim away any excess or overhanging wallpaper. Reattach the doors to the dresser.
6. Use the gold paint to paint the drawer pulls and cabinet handles.
7. Apply the top coat over the entire dresser, including sections with wallpaper. Reattach the drawer pulls and cabinet handles.
In The Know by Yahoo is now available on Apple News — follow us here!
The post Revamp any dresser with this fun wallpaper and paint hack appeared first on In The Know.
More from In The Know: