As of Friday, RCA Records, which is owned by Sony Music, had removed the controversial singer from the list of artists on its website. USA TODAY has reached out to RCA for comment.
R. Kelly signed with Jive back in the '90s when his career first took off. He became part of the Sony Music family after it acquired Jive, and he's had a contract with RCA since 2012, according to Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter.
The news comes as the 52-year-old singer has been embroiled in controversy in recent weeks following January's explosive docu-series “Surviving R. Kelly,” which detailed decades of sexual abuse allegations against him, including claims he abused underage girls, physically assaulted women and forced some women living with him to go without food.
Earlier this week, protesters swarmed Sony's New York City headquarters, holding signs that demanded that the company drop Kelly, Rolling Stone and Vulture reported. Several activist groups came together to protest and delivered a petition with more than 200,000 signatures calling for RCA to cut ties with the singer, according to Care2, one of the groups involved in the protest.
"We applaud the label for taking the right step in the face of public outcry over its ties to him, and implore other corporations and artists to do the same," Rebecca Gerber, senior director of engagement at Care2, told USA TODAY in an emailed statement. “R. Kelly is a serial sexual predator and has no place in the music industry – or in any industry.”
"Surviving R. Kelly" interviewed multiple women who claimed they are victims of Kelly's alleged sex cult. Several of the women who spoke out on the series claim Kelly was sexually inappropriate with them when they were underage. In addition to the accusers, participants interviewed for the series included Kelly's ex-wife and the singer's two brothers as well as parents of women who say their daughters are currently being mistreated by Kelly.
'Surviving R. Kelly' Episodes 1 and 2 recap: How it all began
Episodes 5 and 6: Digging into the most recent allegations against Kelly
In 2008, Kelly was tried on charges of child pornography in Chicago, accused of making a 27-minute sex tape with an underage girl in 2002. The girl declined to testify. It took only a few hours for a jury to declare him not guilty on all 14 counts.
Save for a 1996 count of battery, he has never been found guilty of any charges related to sexual misconduct in a criminal court.
In Kelly's hometown of Chicago, Cook County State's Attorney Kim Foxx called a news conference last week to say she was "sickened" by the “deeply disturbing” allegations against the singer and urged anyone with information about instances of alleged sexual abuse by Kelly in Cook County to talk to prosecutors.
In a phone interview with The Associated Press following Foxx's press conference, Kelly's Chicago-based attorney, Steve Greenberg, dismissed the allegations as "another round of stories" being used to "fill reality TV time."
When reached for comment on Kelly's split from RCA, Greenberg told USA TODAY via email: "I am not involved in this matter ... and have absolutely no knowledge about it."
Investigations reignited: Docu-series prompts prosecutors interest in Atlanta, Chicago
Chicago cops interview R. Kelly: Interview follows report singer held women hostage
Contributing: Maeve McDermott, Maria Puente and Andrea Mandell, USA TODAY
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Reports: R. Kelly no longer part of RCA Records after resurfaced sexual abuse allegations