- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Prince Philip has been transferred to a specialist cardiovascular hospital in London.
The duke is set to be treated for an infection and observed for a preexisting heart condition.
He was first admitted to a hospital on February 16 under guidance from his doctor.
Prince Philip has been transferred to a specialist cardiovascular hospital in London, where he is set to be treated for an infection and observed for a preexisting heart condition.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement that the 99-year-old was expected to remain at St. Bartholomew's Hospital until the end of the week.
"The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII's Hospital to St. Bartholomew's Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a preexisting heart condition," a palace representative said in a statement obtained by Insider on Monday.
"The Duke remains comfortable and is responding to treatment but is expected to remain in hospital until at least the end of the week," the statement added.
St. Bartholomew's Hospital, which is close to St. Paul's Cathedral in London, is home to Barts Heart Centre, the largest specialized cardiovascular service in Europe.
The duke was admitted to King Edward VII's Hospital on February 16 under guidance from his doctor after he felt unwell.
The palace said in its initial statement that the royal was expected to "remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest" as a precautionary measure.
In an updated statement issued February 23, a palace representative said the duke was being treated for an infection.
Philip previously spent four nights at King Edward VII's Hospital in December 2019, where he was treated for a preexisting condition, and was treated at the same hospital for an infection in June 2017.
The duke's 100th birthday is in June.
Read the original article on Insider