Prince Harry Says He’s Worried for the Safety of Meghan Markle and Their Kids in the U.K.

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have brought their children to the United Kingdom only once since they decamped to California in 2020. And that’s mostly because Harry is worried about his family’s safety in his hometown.

In a statement, Harry explained how a lack of security has kept him and his family from returning to England, People reported on Thursday. The royal’s reasoning was released as part of a hearing about his right to protection while in the U.K. In February 2020, the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (RAVEC) opted to remove Harry’s automatic right to police detail.

More from Robb Report

“It was with great sadness to both of us that my wife and I felt forced to step back from this role and leave the country in 2020,” Harry said in the statement. “The U.K. is my home. The U.K. is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the United States. That cannot happen if there is no possibility to keep them safe when they are on U.K. soil. . .I can’t put my wife in danger like that, and given my experiences in life, I’m reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm’s way too.”

The three-day hearing in London, which did not see Harry appear in court, is part of a larger battle that’s been playing out since RAVEC took action against the Duke of Sussex. Earlier on, Harry offered to pay for the security himself, but that idea was struck down by London’s High Court in May of this year. He’s consistently said that without protection, though, he doesn’t feel safe bringing his family back to the U.K. (Despite that, Harry, Meghan, Prince Archie, and Princess Lilibet traveled to Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee in the summer of 2022.)

Attorneys for the prince implored the court and RAVEC to consider the “impact” an attack on Harry would have. The Home Office said, though, that RAVEC had thought about the potential consequences, heightened by the tragic death of Harry’s mother, Princess Diana. Even then, the Home Office thought that the prince’s security should be determined on a case-by-case basis, as “he would no longer be a working member of the Royal Family and would be living abroad for the majority of the time.”

Until a decision is reached in Harry’s favor, the U.K. won’t be seeing much of the estranged prince’s family anytime soon.

Sign up for Robb Report's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Click here to read the full article.