When Clarence House announced the news that Prince Charles tested positive for COVID-19, they made it clear that it is unknown when or from whom he contracted the disease.
“It is not possible to ascertain from whom the Prince caught the virus owing to the high number of engagements he carried out in his public role during recent weeks,” reads the official statement.
As late as March 12, Prince Charles was still attending public engagements, but given that he and Prince Albert of Monaco, who also recently tested positive for COVID-19, were both guests at a WaterAid event in London on March 10, some have questioned if that's where Charles was first exposed to the disease.
But during an interview on a French radio station, Prince Albert refuted speculation that he gave Prince Charles the virus, noting that they were not seated close together.
“We greeted each other from afar, each of us on opposite ends of the table,” Albert said, according to the Huffington Post. “I never shook his hand.” (Even before the March 10 meeting, Prince Charles had adopted a namaste bow as his greeting of choice.)
“I was already there on the other side of the table, so we greeted each other from afar ... So I don’t think I can be accused of having contaminated him,” Albert continued. “But there were a lot of people, not only around that table but also in the atrium of that convention center.”
Last week, Albert shared with People that he was "feeling okay" after testing positive for the novel coronavirus.
"My symptoms are flu-like, but it feels like a pretty mild case," he said. "I’ve a slight fever, not really that bad. A little bit of a cough. I’d a runny nose the first few days, that was the first sign. I’ve felt a little stuffed up but that’s it."
And in this week's radio interview, he offered an update on his health: “I’m still coughing a little, but I no longer have a fever. I can see the end of the tunnel,” he said.
Prince Charles too, is fortunately only suffering from mild symptoms. A source recently told Town & Country that the Prince of Wales is in "good spirits" despite his diagnosis. And today, Clarence House shared his message of thanks for all the well wishes he has received this week.
"Thank you for all your ‘Get Well Soon’ messages for His Royal Highness. He is enormously touched by your kind words," it reads.
Thank you for all your ‘Get Well Soon’ messages for His Royal Highness. He is enormously touched by your kind words. pic.twitter.com/PRjqHWBWj8— Clarence House (@ClarenceHouse) March 26, 2020
For more stories like this, including celebrity news, beauty and fashion advice, savvy political commentary, and fascinating features, sign up for the Marie Claire newsletter.
You Might Also Like