UPDATE: October 3, 2020, at 10:30 a.m. E.T.—
President Donald Trump's prognosis is slightly unclear. During a press conference at Walter Reed, Sean Conley, M.D., told reporters that the president “had a mild cough and some nasal congestion and fatigue [on Thursday], all of which are now improving,” per Buzzfeed.
Conley did not elaborate on his comment that the commander-in-chief had been diagnosed 72 hours ago, putting his first positive COVID test on September 30, not October 1, as had been previously understood. Conley further said that the president was fever-free and did not need supplemental oxygen, generally painting a positive picture of Trump's treatment. However, just after the press conference concluded, the White House sent a “pool report” (to all the reporters who cover the White House) that said, according to an unnamed person "familiar with the president’s health," that “the president’s vitals over the last 24 hours were very concerning and the next 48 hours will be critical in terms of his care" and “we’re still not on a clear path to a full recovery,” per BuzzFeed.
This is troubling not only because it calls the president's health into question, but also because there does not appear to be a clear and singular line of communication from the inner circle to the press and therefore the public.
ORIGINAL STORY: October 2, 2020, at 5 p.m. E.T.—
President Donald Trump was admitted to the hospital just hours after revealing his positive coronavirus diagnosis.
According to reports, POTUS will spend a few days at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, in what aides are calling a “precautionary move.”
Per Kayleigh McEnany, White House press secretary, Trump “remains in good spirits.” “Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the president will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days,” she said. “President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the first lady.”
Trump broke the news via Twitter early Friday morning (October 2) that he and first lady Melania Trump both tested positive for coronavirus. "Tonight, @FLOTUS and I tested positive for COVID-19,” he tweeted. “We will begin our quarantine and recovery process immediately. We will get through this TOGETHER!”
The first lady then tweeted, “As too many Americans have done this year, @potus & I are quarantining at home after testing positive for COVID-19. We are feeling good & I have postponed all upcoming engagements. Please be sure you are staying safe & we will all get through this together.”
This news comes on the heels of President Trump essentially mocking his Democratic presidential opponent, Joe Biden, for wearing masks as a coronavirus precaution. “I don't wear masks like him,” Trump said during the first presidential debate on September 29. “Every time you see him, he's got a mask. He could be speaking 200 feet away from them and he shows up with the biggest mask I've ever seen.”
Even still, both Biden and his vice presidential running mate, Kamala Harris, have wished the Trumps well and a speedy recovery:
It remains to be seen how all this will affect the remaining presidential debates and the rest of the 2020 election.
Originally Appeared on Glamour