The American Music Awards brought out all the stars on Sunday night, but it also triggered a lot of political commentary about the recent election. While Green Day showed their disdain for President-elect Donald Trump during their performance, Gigi Hadid took a slightly lighter approach by impersonating his wife, Melania Trump, during her opening number with Jay Pharoah. Pursing her lips and talking in a thick accent, she proceeded to poke fun at the former model's RNC speech that was plagiarized from one Michelle Obama gave in 2008. While some thought it was pretty comical, others weren't so impressed, calling her impression "racist" on social media. See the mixed reactions to her gag below.
I respected and liked Gigi until she made fun of Melania. If someone did that to Michelle Obama they'd be called racist, mysoginist, etc
- jlynn (@estrangedstyles) November 21, 2016
@GiGiHadid what you did on the AMA awards insulting Melania Trump show if you have no class! Tasteless!
- DAT (@omptcmi2) November 21, 2016
@GiGiHadid 's impression of melania trump made my night hahahaha
- iqra arif🌹 (@_IqraArif) November 21, 2016
I can't imagine the fallout if someone had made fun of Michelle Obama on stage the way that Gigi Hadid just did Melania Trump.
- Eag1e0ne (@Eag1e0ne) November 21, 2016
- S.A.S (@saghalina) November 21, 2016
- Lauren James (@LaurenJlovalova) November 21, 2016
- Vickie Tilkey (@Tilk6069) November 21, 2016
Bruh Gigi Hadid's impression of Melania Trump 💀
- o-eazy✨ (@apparentlyojoma) November 21, 2016