The Winnipeg Jets and restricted free agent Patrik Laine still have not come to terms on an agreement, and the forward is starting to sound a little ominous about his future with the club.
When asked if he will be playing with Winnipeg next season, the Finnish hockey star didn’t make any guarantees, according to Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
“Well you never know. It’s still business, you’ve got to be prepared for anything,” Laine said. “But yeah, you never know where you’re going to play next year so I’m just prepared for anything.”
The 21-year-old was then asked a follow-up question regarding the matter, in which his response did anything but assure fans of the Jets.
“Well I’ve got nothing bad to say about Winnipeg, you know? It’s been good so far. But you never know, so that’s kind of my comments.”
Will Patrik Laine be a Jet by the time the season starts? 👀 pic.twitter.com/t1cymNVfMf— Yahoo Sports NHL (@YahooSportsNHL) August 16, 2019
Laine’s tone is certainly different from fellow RFA teammate Kyle Connor, who said earlier this week it’s a "plan" of his to work out a new contract with the team before training camp.
The second-overall selection of the 2016 NHL Draft, Laine is coming off a down year in which he scored 30 goals and 50 points over 82 games.
The Jets have a little more than $17.5 million in cap space to use, according to CapFriendly.
More NHL coverage on Yahoo Sports