Kaitlin Armstrong’s Vehicle Has Finally Been Found—Here’s What We Know So Far

·4 min read
Photo credit: U.S. Marshals Service
Photo credit: U.S. Marshals Service

When gravel cycling star Moriah “Mo” Wilson was tragically killed last month, no one could have guessed that more than five weeks later, her alleged killer, Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, would still be at large. But since mid-May, Kaitlin Armstrong has eluded the Austin Police Department and the U.S. Marshals, and only minor updates in the case have been posted.

Here’s what we know so far, in chronological order of events. As new information emerges, we’ll update this timeline.

Editor’s Note: We’ve also included updates from the U.S. Marshals that may seem out of place on the timeline, but are indicative of how the investigation has progressed. For example, while we now know Armstrong flew out of Austin on May 14, the U.S. Marshals released a statement on May 23 that they believed she was still in Austin, hiding out.

June 23: U.S. Marshals announce that Armstrong’s vehicle, a black Jeep Grand Cherokee, has been found, as reported by KXAN. Armstrong sold the vehicle to CarMax in south Austin for $12,200 on May 13, two days after Wilson was killed. The official reward for information leading to her arrest has been increased to $6,000, and an anonymous donor is now offering an additional $15,000.

June 15: Fox News reports that Armstrong was allegedly spotted at the Camp Haven campground in Livingston Manor, New York, a month ago, according to a camper who contacted Fox News anonymously. Armstrong’s sister Christine works there and had been staying there long-term, and the anonymous camper indicated that Christine had since been interviewed by the U.S. Marshals. (U.S. Marshals would not confirm that they spoke with Christine but did confirm the location was part of the manhunt.) KXAN in Austin reports that private investigator Jason Jensen believes Armstrong may be using her sister’s name, Christine, as an alias in New York state, or that she may have fled to Canada.

June 6: U.S. Marshals report that Armstrong was dropped off at Newark Liberty International Airport on May 18, a few days after she flew to LaGuardia Airport. The investigation is upgraded to major case status, and up to a $5,000 reward is offered for information leading to her arrest.

May 29: Austin area cyclists hold a ride vigil in Wilson’s memory.

May 25: U.S. Marshals report that Armstrong flew to LaGuardia Airport on May 14.

May 24: Armstrong’s father appears on Good Morning America and says he believes Armstrong is innocent, as reported by Newsweek.

May 24: VeloNews reports that many of Strickland’s sponsors, including Specialized and Rapha, have cut ties with him.

May 23: U.S. Marshals tell reporters they believe Wilson is still in Texas, according to KXAN.

May 21: Wilson’s family releases a statement to KXAN saying that at the time of her death, Wilson was not in a romantic relationship with anyone.

May 20: Strickland releases a statement through his lawyer to the Austin American-Statesman, offering his sympathy to Wilson’s family and explaining that they had a brief romantic relationship but remained friends.

May 19: The warrant for Armstrong’s arrest is issued for the first-degree murder of Moriah Wilson.

May 18: Armstrong is spotted being dropped off at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey. This is later reported by the U.S. Marshals on June 6.

May 14: Armstrong is seen at the Austin International Bergstrom Airport, where she boarded a flight that took her to Houston, and then to LaGuardia International Airport. This is later announced by the U.S. Marshals on March 25.

May 14: A tipster tells the Austin Police Department that in January, Armstrong found out about Strickland’s relationship with Wilson and told them she wanted to kill Wilson.

May 12: Police question Strickland and Armstrong separately. Strickland admits to lying to Armstrong about his whereabouts. Armstrong is brought in for questioning, thanks to an outstanding arrest warrant from 2018 due to non-payment for a Botox injection, but she’s allowed to leave due to a clerical error on that warrant. Police recover a 9mm handgun registered to Armstrong but purchased by Strickland. According to police documents, it is later determined there is significant likelihood that it is the gun that shot Wilson.

May 11, 10 p.m.: Wilson is found in the evening with multiple gunshot wounds, unconscious in a friend’s apartment. Wilson is pronounced dead on the scene. Armstrong’s SUV is caught on a neighbor’s camera.

May 11, around 8:30 p.m.: Wilson is dropped back at the house by Strickland.

May 11, after 5:30 p.m.: Wilson leaves the house to go swimming with fellow gravel pro Colin Strickland. Strickland and Wilson allegedly had a brief romantic relationship in 2021, while Strickland and his live-in girlfriend, Armstrong, were on a break.

May 10: Wilson arrives in Austin, Texas, to take part in Gravel Locos. She’s staying with a friend in the city.

Anyone with information on Armstrong’s whereabouts is urged to contact the U.S. Marshals Service Communications Center at 1-800-336-0102 or submit a tip using the USMS Tips app.

You Might Also Like