The Underwoods have been brought down in a way no one expected: "House of Cards" being canceled.
Netflix is planning to end the series after its upcoming sixth season, Deadline reports. Sources tell the publication that the decision was made in response to "Star Trek: Discovery" actor Anthony Rapp's claim that Kevin Spacey once made a sexual advance toward him when Rapp was just 14 years old. The streamer, along with Media Rights Capital, issued a statement Monday that said they were "deeply troubled" by the allegation.
"Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night's news concerning Kevin Spacey," the companies said in a joint statement. "In response to last night's revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time."
Responding to Rapp's claim, Spacey said he did not recall the alleged 1986 encounter. However, he added that he was "horrified by the story" and apologized if he "did then behave as [Rapp] describes." Still, his apology has only sparked further controversy given that it also marked his coming out as gay. Actor Zachary Quinto criticized Spacey, saying it was "sad and troubling" that the "House of Cards" star was coming out "as a calculated manipulation to deflect attention."
The situation is certainly a fraught one, casting a cloud over the final season of "House of Cards," which is due out in mid-2018.