A mom’s viral Facebook post of her toddler accidentally locking themselves in the washing machine is serving as a stark reminder to parents about the danger of leaving kids unsupervised near large appliances, along with the need for a proper child lock with front-loading washing machines.
Last week, Lindsey McIver uploaded a photo of her washing machine on Facebook along with a status that explained that she and her husband were sleeping when they were woken up by their crying four-year-old son, who explained that Kloe, his younger sister, was trapped in their new washing machine. Fortunately, they were able to get to the machine in time and get their daughter out before any real harm was done but it served as a frightening warning for the two about how easily they could have lost their child.
“I post this because I can honestly say we did not realize the danger of this machine,” McIver wrote on Facebook. “We are continually surprised at the new, inventive ways our kids come up with to try and die. And this was definitely a new one.”
Loading Video Content
I’ve been hesitant to write this post. First, because of the inevitable online mom-shaming that is bound to ensue; and…
The frightening but eye-opening post quickly went viral on Facebook, as it was shared more than 262,000 users since being posted last week, along with 40,000 likes and 65,000 comments. While accidents like these might seem rare, they certainly can happen. According to Consumer Reports, more than 2,000 kids are seriously injured by washing machines every year, including a three-year-old from Arkansas who died in 2016 when they climbed into the washing machine and closed the lid. Hopefully, McIver’s warning will keep parents alert of the dangers of not having a proper lock on their front-loading washing machine.
- Mom's Facebook Post Warns Parents About Dangerous Washing Machines
- Amazon Prime Day: Best Deals on Strollers, Car Seats, and Baby Gear
- Amazon Prime Day: All the Deals You Need to Know
- Why American Beer Drinkers Should Start Budgeting
The post Mom’s Facebook Post Warns Parents About Dangerous Washing Machines appeared first on Fatherly.