Meghan Markle won a copyright claim over the letter she wrote to her father before her wedding

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
meghan markle prince harry
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in January 2020. DANIEL LEAL-OLIVAS/WPA Pool/Getty Images
  • Meghan Markle on Wednesday won her copyright claim against the Mail on Sunday, the BBC reported.

  • Markle sued the tabloid's parent company for publishing excerpts of a letter she wrote her father.

  • In the latest ruling, the judge said Markle owns the copyright of the letter, not the Crown.

  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

A judge at the High Court in London on Wednesday ruled in favor of Meghan Markle in a copyright case against a British tabloid, the BBC's Joseph Lee and PA news agency first reported.

The judge ruled that Meghan, and not the Crown, owned the copyright to the letter she sent to her father Thomas Markle ahead of her May 2018 wedding to Prince Harry.

The duchess had written the letter to her father before her marriage. Thomas later allowed the Mail on Sunday to release excerpts from the letter that were published in a two-page spread in February 2019.

Meghan sued Associated Newspapers, which publishes the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline, over the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright, and breach of the Data Protection Act 2008.

Meghan had already won most of her privacy and copyright claims against Associated Newspapers in a February court decision.

Associated Newspapers had previously argued that Meghan and Harry's former royal communications secretary Jason Knauf co-authored the letter that the duchess' father provided the Mail on Sunday, according to the BBC. This would have meant that the letter's copyright belonged to the Crown.

At the hearing on Wednesday, the High Court heard that Knauf "emphatically" denied co-authoring Meghan's letter to her father, the BBC reported.

Ian Mill, representing Meghan, told the High Court that the latest ruling in favor of the duchess "gives the lie" to The Mail on Sunday's argument that she considered using the letter as part of a "media strategy," according to the BBC.

In a previous statement to Insider following her legal victory in February, the duchess said she was "grateful to the courts for holding Associated Newspapers and The Mail on Sunday to account for their illegal and dehumanizing practices."

Representatives for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex declined to comment when reached by Insider for this story.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Read the original article on Insider