Meghan Markle and Prince Harry broke a world record when they launched their Instagram account. Now, the couple has quit social media due to the 'hate' they experienced.

Joshua Zitser
·2 min read
prince harry meghan markle
Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. Frank Augstein/AP
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have quit social media, a source close to the couple told The Sunday Times. They reportedly do not intend to use Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram in the future.

  • They have left social media because of the "hate" they received, according to the source.

  • Their last post on Instagram was in March 2020. The account, however, remains on Instagram.

  • Since stepping back from the royal family, the couple has launched a charitable foundation. The organization will reportedly not use social media.

  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have quit social media and have "no plans" to use Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram in the near future, a source close to the couple told The Sunday Times.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have reportedly shunned social media as a result of the "hate" they experienced on various platforms, according to the newspaper.

It is "very unlikely" that they will continue to have an online presence, The Sunday Times reported.

Their official Instagram account remains on the social platform but the most recent post, published in March, offers a farewell to followers.

The couple wrote: "While you may not see us here, the work continues."

The couple broke a Guinness World Record when they first launched the account, amassing one million followers in less than six hours. The account now has over 10 million followers.

In the past, they have used their Instagram account to break major news. Most notably, the platform was used to announce the birth and name of their son Archie.

Markle revealed in October 2020 that she, personally, would no longer use social media.

At a summit, she compared social media use to drug addiction and described how deleting her accounts amounted to "self-preservation."

Since the couple took a "step back" from royal duties last year, the couple has become financially independent and pursued various business opportunities

The couple secured a Netflix deal last September, followed by a multi-year podcast deal with Spotify.

They have also launched a new non-profit organization - the Archewell Foundation.

There are no plans to use social media for that charity either, a source told The Sunday Times.

Read the original article on Insider