When it comes to holiday fashion, no one knows better than Mariah Carey.
The 49-year-old “All I Want for Christmas Is You” singer participated in the ceremonial lighting of the Empire State Building yesterday in New York wearing a festive, sparkly ensemble.
More from Footwear News
- J-Lo Wears a Feathered Dress + Soaring Platform Sandals at the Gotham Awards
- Mariah Carey Performs in Dubai in Sparkly Platform Sandals & a Glittering Gown
- Mariah Carey Shoves Diane Warren Out of the Way At Variety's Power of Women
Carey glistened in a silver, form-fitting Alexandre Vauthier gown with a plunging neckline and calf-baring slit.
The songstress teamed her gown with skyscraper heels, choosing chunky ankle-strap platform sandals.
Over the years, Carey has become known for her love of heels. She didn’t climb all 102 stories of the Empire State Building in her sandals yesterday, but she has worn sky-high shoes in unexpected situations — such as bowling with her kids and running on a treadmill.
Of course, Carey isn’t the only famous singer with a love of platforms. Lady Gaga has long been a proponent of soaring shoes, sometimes adding nearly a foot of extra height with her footwear.
The platform is trending in a big way this season, thanks to top designers such as Jimmy Choo, Giuseppe Zanotti and Gianvito Rossi. The silhouette is known to give a boost of empowerment to the wearer, thanks to the winning combination of stability and extra height.
Click through the gallery to see 13 of Mariah Carey’s most outrageous, “extra” holiday ensembles from years past.
Mariah Carey Performs in Dubai in Sparkly Platform Sandals & a Glittering Gown
Mariah Carey Does the Pajamas-Inspo Trend With Chunky Heels on Outing With Kerry Washington
Mariah Carey Stuns in Sky-High Louboutins, Fishnet Stockings at iHeartRadio Music Festival
Best of Footwear News
- Céline Dion's Most Unforgettable Style Moments of 2019
- 7 Genius Royal Style Hacks You'll Wish You Had Known Sooner
- Britney Spears' '90s and Early '00s Street Style Will Have You Feeling Nostalgic