Man arrested after two paramedics stabbed on call-out in Wolverhampton

·News Reporter
·2 min read
Stephens Close, Wolverhampton, where two paramedics have been stabbed and are currently in hospital in stable condition. A man has been arrested.
Two paramedics have been stabbed in Stephens Close, Wolverhampton. (PA Images)

A man has been arrested after two paramedics were stabbed in Wolverhampton.

West Midlands Police said the incident, in which police Tasered a man, happened at a property on a residential street.

The paramedics, one male and one female, were treated at the scene and taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham. They are in a stable condition.

A 52-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of wounding.

Superintendent Simon Inglis, from Wolverhampton Police, said: “This is a shocking incident resulting in serious injuries to two of our blue light colleagues.

“We are treating it as an isolated incident and we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the attack.”

A cordon has been placed around the property, West Midlands Police said.

Neighbour Anita Millard, 65, said a man lived alone at the property and his elderly mother had raised concerns for his welfare.

She said two paramedics arrived with two police officers and they gained entry by removing a door panel with a screwdriver borrowed from a resident on the road.

Lights flash on an ambulances outside the Hollymore Ambulance Hub of the West Midlands Ambulance Service in Birmingham where a coronavirus antibody testing program is taking place.
Two paramedics have been taken to hospital, West Midlands Ambulance Service said. (PA Images)

She said: “The police asked the man’s mother to step back and then the girl paramedic went in, followed by the other medic.

“Then all I heard was a blood-curdling scream.”

In a statement, West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) said: “Two members of ambulance service staff have been stabbed after attending a call-out to check on the welfare of a man in Wolverhampton.

“The initial call came through at around 12.15pm this lunchtime to an address in Stephens Close.

“Shortly after arrival, the crew used their emergency alert to say that they had been stabbed.

“Three additional ambulances, two Midlands Air Ambulances and the West Midlands Care Team attended the scene along with three paramedic officers.

“The two members of staff, both paramedics, have been treated at the scene by doctors and paramedics and have been taken to hospital for further treatment.

“A man who was Tasered by police officers at the scene has also been treated by ambulance staff.”

Nathan Hudson, a WMAS assistant chief ambulance officer, said: “I just want to say a massive thank you to my staff who attended the scene.

“You can only imagine what this must have been like to see their colleague in this particular situation.

“They did an unbelievable job in very difficult circumstances.”