When you're a parent, Halloween can be full of tough decisions (which candy should you give out this year? What time should you go trick-or-treating?)—but your child's Halloween costume shouldn't be one of them. Trust us: A DIY kids' witch costume is the way to go. There are tons of little details you can alter to keep it feeling personal and customized—whether you're hoping to summon one of the Sanderson sisters from Hocus Pocus, Hermione Granger from the beloved Harry Potter series, or one of the witches from The Wizard of Oz. The classic costume idea is easy to make, fun to wear (no matter your age!), and seriously on-point for the season.
Depending on how much time you have, a store-bought costume could be worth the splurge, and we know that party store aisles are brimming with witch hats, brooms, and capes around this time of year. But if you're feeling crafty, it's actually quite easy to concoct a magical homemade costume yourself—not to mention a whole lot less expensive. You can fashion a witch hat from felt and hot glue, and tie twigs and straw together with twine to craft a broomstick...the possibilities for a DIY kids' witch costume are endless, and we're here to show you how to make it happen.
Easy Toddler Witch Costume
When you're dressing a toddler for Halloween, comfort and warmth are key. After all, it can get pretty darn cold by October 31. That's why we've incorporated a few snuggly layers into the ideas we're sharing here. Here's how to keep it toasty and cute this year:
- First, dress up your toddler in tights, boots, and a long-sleeve shirt.
- Next, add a tutu and witch hat (homemade or store-bought) to get her excited for what's likely her first time trick-or-treating.
- It's as easy as that—save your energy for other things, mama!
Easy Kids' Witch Costume
This might be the perfect age for a witch costume! She still believes in magic—and she might even be eager to help you create the whole ensemble. We suggest you show off your child's spellbinding style and personality with a witch costume that's uniquely her.
- You'll want to start with a simple black dress for the base of this costume. She probably has one hanging in her closet—any style will do!
- Ask her how she'd like to accessorize to let her in on the fun. Perhaps she'd like to try feather boa cuffs (cut one apart and sew for simple bracelets!), a wide belt, or even a touch of fun face paint or makeup.
And just in case you run out of time, you can always opt for one of our favorite witch costumes (Glinda the Good Witch is always a winner!):
Easy Witch Costume for Women
And now for the fun part: you! Nearly every woman has a little black dress in her closet and a tube of red lipstick in her makeup bag—meaning you're halfway to this glamorous, homemade costume. Make the night even more fun by grabbing your best friend and dressing up together.
- Throw on that LBD, first and foremost!
- Top the ensemble off with a black witch hat. It's the instantly recognizable element every witch costume needs.
- Apply red lipstick and—if you're feeling particularly ambitious—press on some faux witch nails.
Plus, Learn How to Make a Witch Wand!
('You Might Also Like',)