Jillian Michaels wearing her new collection of activewear (photo: KMart.com)
Put down the sugary beach drinks, people. Jillian Michaels is going to whip you into shape while you’re on vacation.
At the launch of IMPACT by Jillian Michaels, her first activewear collection for Kmart, the health and wellness expert gave us some pointers for keeping off the pounds while you’re out seeing the world — without sacrificing any of the enjoyment.
“Don’t see it as a vacation from health,” says Jillian Michaels. “I love vacation because I have more time to work out.”
Stateside or abroad, the fit mom suggests these five fun ways to stay active. When Jillian tells you to do something, you do it! Haven’t you seen the “The Biggest Loser”? We’re packing tennis shoes on our next trip.
Try biking on your next vacation (photo: Olivia B./Flickr)
1. Get outside: on foot, on bike, on local jogging trails. When you’re planning your vacation, really look at what’s available to you. Are you going to Hawaii? Don’t just lie in a lounge chair. Take a paddleboarding lesson. Go for a hike on the Na Pali Coast. If you’re visiting Boston, D.C., or New York City, do a sightseeing tour on foot. “In Paris, we did Versailles on bicycle,” says Jillian. “It’s a very different way to see the world: on your own two feet.”
Workout in your hotel room (photo: Thinkstock)
2. Bring your workout with you. Nowadays, workouts are all on demand. Bring a DVD and put it in your computer, or use a service like Fitfusion.com — you have more than 260 workouts in any place, on any device, at any time. Carve out 30 minutes, and get it in before you go out for the day.
Take time to relax by the pool (photo: Thinkstock)
3. Spa and sleep. “I see my vacations as a time to rejuvenate and relax,” says Jillian. “I want to take better care of myself.” It’s not a vacation from common sense — it’s a vacation from stress!
Related: Travel Diet Tips From Alison Sweeney
Wheat grass shots are not only healthy but energizing (photo: Steven Depolo/Flickr)
4. Sample the cuisine — and other things, too. People in other cultures practice different regimens for their health. Sample the local superfoods if you’re in Hawaii. In New York, sample the cool yoga class. Ask locals about the healthy aspects of the culture. Try that cool raw juice bar. Really experience the healthy things in that environment.
Plan an activity for the whole group, like surfing lessons (photo: Kanaka Menehune/Flickr)
5. Incorporate the family. On vacation, you’re usually going to be with your kids or your significant other. What activities can you do with the family? If you’re going skiing, go skiing with the family. If you are going to take that paddleboarding lesson, take it with one of your kids. Take a surfing lesson with one of them, or go river rafting. Make it a family affair!