Kazakhstan rejects Chinese warning over pneumonia outbreak

Kazakhstan rejects Chinese warning over pneumonia outbreak
Kazakhstan rejects Chinese warning over pneumonia outbreak

MOSCOW (AP) — Kazakhstan health officials on Friday dismissed a Chinese report that the Central Asian country is facing an outbreak of pneumonia that is more deadly than coronavirus.

The Kazakh denial follows a notice issued Thursday by the Chinese embassy that warned its citizens about an outbreak of pneumonia in the ex-Soviet nation that is producing a death rate higher than that from COVID-19-induced pneumonia.

“This information doesn't conform to reality,” Kazakhstan's Health Ministry said. It noted that the country's statistics on pneumonia include patients who tested negative for coronavirus but had symptoms compatible with COVID-19.

According to official data, the number of pneumonia cases in Kazakhstan has increased 55% in the first half of the year compared with the same period in 2019 — from 63,436 to 98,546.

However, Health Minister Alexei Tsoi said at a briefing Thursday that mortality from pneumonia this year fell from last year's levels — from 1,780 deaths in the first half of 2019 to 1,172 in the first half of this year.

The emergencies chief of the World Health Organization, Dr. Michael Ryan, said Friday that many of the pneumonia cases in Kazakhstan were likely to be COVID-19 and “just have not been diagnosed correctly.”

Ryan said WHO was working with Kazakh authorities to review patients' X-rays and look at the pattern of pneumonia cases to see if they were consistent with COVID-19.

The energy-rich Central Asian nation quickly introduced regional lockdown and travel restrictions to stem the coronavirus pandemic, but it has faced a rise in infections after it lifted the restrictions in May. The country so far has registered over 53,000 cases, including 264 deaths.

In late June, Kazakh President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev fired the nation's health minister, blaming him for flaws that helped trigger what authorities are calling a second wave of contagion.

Kazakh authorities have imposed a new two-week nationwide lockdown starting Sunday to contain the outbreak.

Asked to respond to Kazakhstan's denial of the Chinese embassy's claim, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian refrained from comment, saying that Beijing hopes to receive more information.

“China looks forward to continuing cooperation with Kazakhstan to jointly fight the epidemic and safeguard public health in both countries,” he said.

___

Follow all of AP’s pandemic coverage at http://apnews.com/VirusOutbreak and https://apnews.com/UnderstandingtheOutbreak

More From

  • As college leaders meet, football players push to play

    After the Power Five conference commissioners met Sunday to discuss mounting concern about whether a college football season can be played in a pandemic, players took to social media to urge leaders to let them play. Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said no decisions on the season have been made, but conceded the outlook has not improved.

  • Riot swiftly declared for Portland protest at union building

    A riot was again declared by authorities Sunday night in Portland when protesters marched to a police union building, blocked a road and set dumpster fires as officers work to quell nightly unrest in Oregon's largest city. The protest was over almost as soon as it began outside the Portland Police Association building — the same building where protesters were dispersed after a fire was started inside the offices the night before. The Portland Police Association is a labor union that represents members of the Portland Police Bureau.

  • Blast destroyed landmark 19th century palace in Beirut

    The 160-year-old palace withstood two world wars, the fall of the Ottoman Empire, the French mandate and Lebanese independence. After the country's 1975-1990 civil war, it took 20 years of careful restoration for the family to bring the palace back to its former glory. “In a split second, everything was destroyed again,” says Roderick Sursock, owner of Beirut's landmark Sursock Palace, one of the most storied buildings in the Lebanese capital.

  • Indonesia's Sinabung volcano ejects towering column of ash

    Rumbling Mount Sinabung on Indonesia’s Sumatra island erupted Monday, sending a column of volcanic materials as high as 5,000 meters (16,400 feet) into the sky. There were no fatalities or injuries from the morning eruption, Indonesia’s Volcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation Center said. A thick layer of ash covered several villages up to 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) from the crater, said Armen Putra, an official at the Mount Sinabung observation post.